Ken Burns...and Quilts!

AshleyMel

2nd Lieutenant
Filmmaker Ken Burns has collected quilts since the 1970s. Unlike his films, Burns has not publicly shared his collection until recently when he allowed the International Quilt Study Center and Museum to exhibit a selection of them. We talk with the filmmaker to learn why he chose to share his quilts and why he chose Nebraska.

http://nebraskastories.org/videos/the-quilts-of-ken-burns/

OH MY!
Who knew?!
He knows his stuff!

Last edited:
His collection is very impressive!

Ashley, I did a quick search and found multiple references to Burns and his collection where you can find many links that will lead to stories that include pictures of his quilts.
Have at it. :smile: Thanks for posting, my granny would have been not necessarily jealous but certainly envious.

https://www.google.com/search?q=ken...raska&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-b-1-ab

Here is his favorite that hangs over his bed.

19showwall-master768.jpg

“I don’t have a quilt that gives me more pleasure than this one,” the filmmaker Ken Burns said of the “Circular Wreath” quilt that hangs above his bed in his Manhattan apartment. An exhibition of his quilt collection opens this week at the International Quilt Study Center & Museum in Lincoln, Neb.

Credit Benjamin Norman for The New York Times

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/16/...-international-quilt-study-center-museum.html

What a nice video, Ashley Mel, and what beautiful quilts. I have several quilts, including a turkey red and white pieced quilt that was my grandmother's, one that I appliquéd and started to quilt myself but was finished by a wonderful group of quilters who came over for a "bee", and a baby quilt I made when my oldest child was on the way. They are such treasures to me, so I can really appreciate how Ken Burns feels about his.

What a nice video, Ashley Mel, and what beautiful quilts. I have several quilts, including a turkey red and white pieced quilt that was my grandmother's, one that I appliquéd and started to quilt myself but was finished by a wonderful group of quilters who came over for a "bee", and a baby quilt I made when my oldest child was on the way. They are such treasures to me, so I can really appreciate how Ken Burns feels about his.
I had to run home from my sewing class 'cause I forgot my quit top I'ma working on and just saw this!
Oh, how wonderful to have your grandmother's pieced quilt! JOY!

Nothing give me goose bumps like the quilting threads we have here on CWT!

And, I'm off, back to piecing together my own quilt top that I am giving as a gift for my soon to be sister-in- law!

If any readers with an interest in quilts ever find themselves on I-81 in the middle of the Shenandoah Valley near Harrisonburg. Va., please stop there and visit the quilt museum in the town. Many are actual quilts from the war and there are some very interesting stories that go along with them.

If any readers with an interest in quilts ever find themselves on I-81 in the middle of the Shenandoah Valley near Harrisonburg. Va., please stop there and visit the quilt museum in the town. Many are actual quilts from the war and there are some very interesting stories that go along with them.
So Hubby wants to do a Civil War trip for our Anniversary and I'm like cool but where are the quilt shops!
This is great info! Thank you!

https://www.paducah.travel/quilting/national-quilt-museum/

To me quilts are for using not to look at. Even very old ones. The prices on way down on them right now. I see them sold at least once a week. They can be colorful, and have beautiful designs. When buying anything never ever buy the story. You can later incorporate the story. Never buy anything unless it is real. A lot of stories are used with fake items or even reproductions, and age can be faked easily, if the person is good enough you will even know it. I still use quilts. The National Quilt museum is located in Paducah, Ky.

Back