Keeping Foods Fresh

OK I"m an eater not a cook, my moms last words to me when I moved out of the house at 18 she said.... AS LONG AS I HAD A CAN AND A CAN OPENER I WOULD NEVER STARVE TO DEATH!! Words to live by!! MY Question is Donna what about pickles and muster and stuff like that, do you have to put it in the frig after you open it??

I was raised to slice the moldy end off the cheddar cheese block and eat the non-moldy part. And still do it. Hasn't hurt me yet.
Mold does not penetrate cheese. It does penetrate bread. Slice the mold off the cheese, wash your hands, wipe the cheese with a wet papertowl and enjoy.

I liked Diane's story. Sounds like one of mine.

Two of the day-to-day money-makers on the farm were cream and eggs. Eggs are self explanatory: pick 'em and pack 'em up for the weekly trip to town (those you don't eat.) Cream was something else: milk the cows (I never could milk one to The Dad's satisfaction :smile:rolleyes:smile: so I got the handle of the separator. Strain the lumps out of the milk and separate the cream from the now-skim milk. We'd drink some of the milk and always had cream on our cereal (hot or cold). As jgoodguy posited, we didn't get food-poisoning.

When it was time to kill a chicken, I got the job. Oldest brother was in the field; older brother was a wimp, little brother was too young and sisters were only good for plucking them. Of course, they were fried in lard.

Them were the days. No allergies, no athsma, no refrigeration. (I don't really call them the good ol' days, but they do stand out some.)

OK I"m an eater not a cook, my moms last words to me when I moved out of the house at 18 she said.... AS LONG AS I HAD A CAN AND A CAN OPENER I WOULD NEVER STARVE TO DEATH!! Words to live by!! MY Question is Donna what about pickles and muster and stuff like that, do you have to put it in the frig after you open it??
Pickles, mustard, and other condiments have enough vinegar in them to resist spoilage almost forever. However, I like them cold (cold mustard on a steaming hot dog is the way it ought to be), so I keep them cold. A vinegary cole slaw can be left out for days, but then it wouldn't be cole.:rofl:

Most container have on them "Refrigerate after opening". I checked in my refrigerator and the ketchup, mustard, relishes, jellies, lemon juice, salad dressings, mayonnaise all had "Refrigerate after opening"..

I don't refrigerate peanut butter. But be sure to refrigerate butter and margarine. All dairy products need refrigeration.

If I come up with more, will post. But I recommend you check your label. it usually in very small print, but is there.

To each, his own. As mentioned, I like pickles cold. And mustard. I don't mess with warm mayo as it doesn't have enough vinegar to sit on a counter for weeks. However, cole slaw and potato salad can last through a picnic.d

Our peanut butter sits in the cabinet until it is gone. Other digestive systems may disagree.

Butter and eggs can last days and days without refrigeration. Butter, cheese, and yogurt were invented to preserve milk when there was no refrigeration.

I regularly use a raw egg in a nutrition drink. My nutritionist frowns on that, but he grew up when everything was refrigerated and the scare wasn't in vogue.

If you never have ingested raw milk or eggs, don't start now. Best case scenario, "If in doubt, throw it out."

I refrigerate dairy and egg products, including mayo. I also refrigerate ketchup and mustard by habit even though it's probably not necessary (restaurants, after all, just set it on the table and leave it). Never heard of refrigerating syrup; seems like that would make it difficult to pour unless you heat it every time. And peanut butter, how do you spread refrigerated peanut butter?

This evening, I consumed a sandwich made with sliced deli turkey purchased six days ago. Anyone want to start a dead pool?

I just ate chinese food and the cookie taste like........ it was moldy or something...... I might have to join you in the dead pool:cold: And my fotune said....I would be center of attention soon:cold:

Last edited:
I just ate chinese food and the cookie taste like........ it was moldy or something...... I might have to join you in the dead pool:cold: And my fotune said....I would be center of attention soon:cold:
Here's your attention.

I once got a fortune cookie wherein the fortune slip was blank. That was encouraging.

I refrigerate dairy and egg products, including mayo. I also refrigerate ketchup and mustard by habit even though it's probably not necessary (restaurants, after all, just set it on the table and leave it). Never heard of refrigerating syrup; seems like that would make it difficult to pour unless you heat it every time. And peanut butter, how do you spread refrigerated peanut butter?
Perzackle. Cold peanut butter just tears up bread. It is disturbing that peanut butter that doesn't have to be refrigerated contains hydrogenated oil. Eeek.

Well, Custer's Luck, as I don't believe in fortune-telling, it did set me back a few notches.

Back