Kansas Monument at Vicksburg

JeffBrooks

2nd Lieutenant
Am I the only one who finds the Kansas Monument at Vicksburg to be a bit. . . odd?

3932874113_ac562928ae_b.jpg

The Kansas State Memorial is located on Grant Avenue. It was erected in Vicksburg National Military Park in June 1960 at a cost to the State of Kansas of $5,000. However, no formal dedication ceremony was ever held.

The text on the plaque placed by the Daughters of Union Veterans of the Civil War reads:

"The bottom circle represents the unity of the pre Civil War Era,

The broken circle in the center represents the Union torn asunder by the war 1861-1865

The perfect circle at the top depicts the regained unity of the post war era

An eagle atop all typifies the glorious majesty of our country."

http://www.nps.gov/vick/learn/historyculture/kansas-memorial.htm

Actually, I think that it is a pretty cool monument. I saw the symbolism upon just looking at the work and thinking about a bit. The circles are most appropriate. But then again I see everything in existence as circularity.
Also, Boonslick, you ar far more intuitive and artistic than many people. Ironically enough, I saw a facebook posting from some Kansas friends about two weeks ago. They were touring the Vicksburg battlefield and were sort of scratching their heads over the Kansas monument. I really have no excuse to comment on it because I've never seen it. I can say that it's unlike anything else I've ever seen in the way of a civil war monument, so its uniqueness is in its favor. Maybe I will get there soon.

Linked from the other thread, thought I'd bump it.

It's SO far ahead of anything else out there. HOLY heck. I'm not a fan of 99.999 of abstract art, just find most of it pretentious, that's all. But art openings can be tedious, folks in black nodding wisely over ' what it means ' has always driven me a little crazy but this isn't modern or abstract. It's awfully striking but that's IMO. I like it ( sorry ).

Not a fan of it . The cost of $5000 may indicate that their budget wouldn't allow something more elaborate . Not a lover of the Gettysburg Louisiana monument either , but I respect those who like it . Art is truly in the eye of the beholder .

Am I the only one who finds the Kansas Monument at Vicksburg to be a bit. . . odd?

No.

No you're not.

In no shape, form or fashion do I consider myself an art critic . . . but this little metal thing doesn't even show up on the radar of most that visit the park.

Granted, after the Illinois monument . . . all of the rest seem lacking.

But the remainder of the other state memorials are impressive on their own.

Not so much for this lil' one . . . IMHO.

Last edited:
IMHO, apparently some sort of "Kansas Society for the Fine Arts and Dance" had the ear of officials in promoting this marker. This kind of "touchy-feely / artist-promoting" sculpture is inappropriate for this use, and I'm an Art Major myself (MSU 1974). A respectful stone or metal monument utilizing historically-relevant imagery should have been placed there. For all the world this looks to be an amateur community art project with some tax-dodge money behind it (and I might be amazingly close in that assessment).

How to judge the merit of this marker? If appearance and significance have to be explained to be understood it is a failed expression.

And then there's that explanation: "...The perfect circle at the top depicts the regained unity of the post war era." Give us a break.

You know, we're not actually required to cut any slack here, to be "open and artistically sensitive to the creative spirit." This is public art; which should be art for the ages not just art for 2016 or whatever. Someone should petition to recycle this effigy to some local Discovery museum or upscale urban shopping address, and apply an alternately effusive-yet-just-as-believable explanation that each element builds to "peace in all the world."

Last edited:
Back