Kammerbuchse M1842/44 and M1849 tubelock plate "Console Augustin"

I thought I would add some commentary to Urrikane's post regarding his transformed Muster 1842 musket, since it is a k.k. Army conversion uncommonly seen in the States.

As an interim measure as the Muster 1854 System Lorenz family of arms went into production, the k.k. Army used the following process to convert some System Augustin weapons to percussion. The external parts of the System Augustin tubelock were removed and the resulting holes in the lock plate were filled. A bolster [Wellbaum or ignition tunnel] was made, threaded to hold a nipple, and threaded to screw into the hole for the System Augustin Kern [tube primer holder] in the barrel of the weapon. Once in place, the new bolster was soldered or brazed to the barrel. The face of the System Augustin hammer was opened up to fit the nipple on the new percussion bolster. In terms of the geometry of the lock, this was probably the best of the System Augustin to percussion conversions. Muster 1851 rifled and smoothbore cavalry carbines, Muster 1844 Extra Corps carbines, Muster 1846 Sanitary Corps carbines, Muster 1851 pistols, and some Muster 1842 muskets were converted using this system. A variety of bolster and hammer shapes were used. As System Lorenz arms became more common in the k.k. Army the conversion bolsters and hammers grew to more closely resemble System Lorenz bolsters and hammers. Among the k.k. Army weapons imported to America during the Civil War, this conversion is seen predominantly on Muster 1851 Kammercarbiner [cavalry rifle carbines]. I have one in my collection. However, the Springfield Armory Museum collection includes examples of this percussion conversion technique used on other models of arms.

Regards,
Don Dixon

excellent explanation!
below the images of two examples of conversion in my collection ( it's the muster 1842 infantry conversion to percussion), the first is a conversion performed by the Sardinian army, you can see the filled holes on the lockplate, but you can also see the work done wrong near the nipple
xxxx.JPG

this is a conversion made by FF (Ferd. Fruwirth)
xxxx2.JPG

Very Nice muskets Thanks for sharing your great collection. I have found several of the so-called Garibaldi bullets in CS camps and back in the early days all we had to go on was “CIVIL WAR PROJECTILES II” by W. Reid McKee & M.E. Mason, Jr. This Raleigh Arsenal Rifle Bullet is listed as “Italian” “Garibaldi” bullets. I know of zero association with Italy.

View attachment 209872 View attachment 209873 View attachment 209874
There was no association with Italy. Federal bullets for the Garibaldi would have been a three groove minie of .70 caliber.

That's what I said. "I know of zero association with Italy" The ones above are from the Raleigh Arsenal and are 69 cal.

That's what I said. "I know of zero association with Italy" The ones above are from the Raleigh Arsenal and are 69 cal.
I wonder where the assumed connection with the Garibaldi came from? I have also seen them called Carcanos. I just assume that some early collector thought they looked foreign. Several years back on another forum, I can remember there was a picture posted of a fired three groove .70/.71 minie that showed the marks of the twelve groove rifling of probably a Kammerbusche M1842 0r M1849.

Urrikane, Don, would you be able to confirm if my Kammerkarabiner was a Austrian arsenal conversion? The fit and finish is excellent, but the nipple takes a #11 cap not musket cap. Would these have been used in Austria as percussion conversions before being replaced by pistol in 1860?

Attachments

• 20181012_214839.jpg
    20181012_214839.jpg
    265.7 KB · Views: 188
  • 20181114_213658.jpg
    20181114_213658.jpg
    156.2 KB · Views: 127
@RijekaFiume your Kammer Karabiner how long is it, and the caliber?

Best
Luca

Luca, i have not had a chance to do exact measurements but the barrel is about 35.5 cm, carbine is aprox 75.5cm from muzzle to buttplate. The caliber is slightly larger then 18mm with 12 deep grooves, excellent bore with a beautiful delvigne breech. Its dated 1852. Which I guess would be past the point of using round balls, replaced by spitzkugel?

There is (what I assume) is a maker name on top of barrel near tang. Hard to read but I belive it says Anna Gesterlein.

I would love to shoot it with the use of the delvigne breech, but cant even think were I could get mould for the spitzkugel, probably just use round ball.

Do you have any images perhaps of what the heavy seperate ramrod would have looked like? would like get a reproduction made.

Attachments

• 20181119_203536.jpg
    20181119_203536.jpg
    113.7 KB · Views: 93
Thanks. I did not realize that the wood patchbox was around that late on military firearms.

Back