Just purchased these! (Civil War Union playing cards) Genuine?

Are these real (the best of my research shows they are authentic)? However, I am a beginning collector, so any help is invaluable! With the obvious question out of the way.... I have a fun one as well.

I was wondering who the most notable card players were during the war. I've poked around for a bit and haven't turned up much. It's rumored Longstreet was quite good until his kids passing. General Grant played before, during, and after the war. Were there any "camp wonders" out there that made history with their gambling during the war? Here are some images of the cards for all to see.

Thank you all.

ACWC

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600-1.jpg

s-l1600-2.jpg

s-l1600-3.jpg

Western New York? I grew up there! I was about 30 minutes from the town of Olean. Thank you for checking the post out.

Anyway, when they arrive, I plan to do a few hours of research and then make an informational video for everyone. I'll include the maker, history, and then some neat historical tid-bits (well, that's the plan.....). I will be sure to post once it's all wrapped up. I'm in the infant stage, but I'm hoping to have it this time next week or so. :smile coffee:

I do not know of any reproduction cards like those. They look aged appropriately. I say yes those are of the period. P.S. Olean is a nice little town.

Welcome From THE Heart Of Dixie. From just looking at the photos and not being able to hold, feel the card stock and smell them, They look period. As @Billw12280 eluded to the designs and military theme and the lack of numbers says there period. Now if that tax stamp is there then you may have a winner.

Welcome From THE Heart Of Dixie. From just looking at the photos and not being able to hold, feel the card stock and smell them, They look period. As @Billw12280 eluded to the designs and military theme and the lack of numbers says there period. Now if that tax stamp is there then you may have a winner.
Thank you for your reply. When I recieve these, where would I begin looking for a stamp? It is not a full deck, just the 4 loose cards.

Thank you for your time!

Thank you for your reply. When I recieve these, where would I begin looking for a stamp? It is not a full deck, just the 4 loose cards.

Thank you for your time!
The tax stamp would have been on the box. Full sets in the original box vary greatly in price. I've seen them being sold from $500 to $1000 and some dealers asking $1500 or more. I'm not sure the value on individual cards but I think they are a nice acquisition regardless. Congratulations!

I was wondering who the most notable card players were during the war. I've poked around for a bit and haven't turned up much. It's rumored Longstreet was quite good until his kids passing. General Grant played before, during, and after the war. Were there any "camp wonders" out there that made history with their gambling during the war? Here are some images of the cards for all to see.

Don't know about during the war, but @diane posted this story about Nathan Bedford Forrest sometime after:
The gambling story is also a good one - Rhoda? This narrator didn't know Forrest all that well! But, gambling was one thing the Forrests argued over. Big stakes, too. But, in this instance, the Forrests were down to one $10 bill, which was sitting on the dining room table between them while they stared at it. Forrest had signed for a friend on a $7,000 debt due the next morning and the guy had defaulted - Forrest was short $2,500. "Won't you let me hunt up a game of draw?" he said. "Gambling is a sin," said Mary Ann. "No good will come of sin!" "Mary, this is a matter of honor." "Then I will be sitting here with my Bible until you get back." So, he took the ten and hunted up a game. As soon as he had won $2,500, he got up, put the money in his hat and prepared to leave. The others implored him to stay, let them have a chance to get their money back, but Forrest said, "No, gentlemen, my wife is sitting at home with a Bible in her lap praying for me. I have played my last game." He had, indeed. As far as is known, he never gambled again.

From just looking at the photos and not being able to hold, feel the card stock and smell them, They look period.

I am relieved to learn, after all this time, @ucv that there are at least a few certain collectable items that you will not lick when you do your evaluations for authenticity. :smile:

Thanks to @CivilWarCollector for posting these and to @Billw12280 for the great info on the card co.

The tax stamp would have been on the box. Full sets in the original box vary greatly in price. I've seen them being sold from $500 to $1000 and some dealers asking $1500 or more. I'm not sure the value on individual cards but I think they are a nice acquisition regardless. Congratulations!
You are correct. The full decks that were available (3 that I could find) were all listed at $1500 or more. Its something I will keep an eye out for someday, but for now, being able to hold a slightly smaller piece of history is satisfying enough. Thanks again for your time.

Thank you for your time!
It looks like they are right up my alley "Not A Full Deck"

I do not know of any reproduction cards like those. They look aged appropriately. I say yes those are of the period. P.S. Olean is a nice little town.
I ended up wondering out west. Where a-bouts in Western NY are you? I haven't really been back since I graduated, but still know enough about the area, and spent enough time there, I've probably been/driven through your neck of the woods!

Joe Hooker was a gambling man - he was the old British army saying: he liked his glass, his lass and his game of cards! Forrest gambled, main game being the one that became poker later, and horse racing. The story of Mississippi gambling is a real interesting one - they'd get dressed up with pearl buttons, diamond rings on every finger, gold chains all over a brocade vest, servants in tow! Got to look good if you stand a real good chance of getting hanged... Forrest was even involved in saving a young gambler named John Able, who had killed another gambler. The deceased was a popular fellow and the killer was new to town, so people got a rope and stormed the jail. Apparently Forrest talked them out of the lynching somewhere along the way but nobody is sure how many times the kid was dragged up and down the scaffold. It was a dangerous business being a gambler - but plenty of excitement in the culture. Sin probably wasn't the only reason Mrs Forrest objected to the recreational choice of her husband - didn't want to be a widow!

Back