Just got home

111thNYSV

Corporal
Just got home from my first event since 2019 due to the pandemic. The event was in Angelica NY and hosted by the 136th NY infantry. It's a rather small event but lots of fun. The numbers on the union side were pretty close to what we had in 2019, Confederates were pretty sparse except or their artillery, 5 guns! In attendance infantry wise for the North were 136th NY, 33rd NY, 12th US, 141st PA and my unit 28th NY. I had my mom take some pics. The last pic is my father and I. I'm in the NYS jacket and my dad is in the frock.

20210926_123232.jpg

20210926_123239.jpg

20210926_131028.jpg

20210926_131304.jpg

20210926_132058.jpg

20210926_123648.jpg

I have found that many of the smaller events are enjoyable. They may be in a park or in town, and be in the middle of many modern items, but can be a lot of fun. Also, I have found that many of these smaller events are very friendly towards the reenactors. Many of the small events we have been to will bring us ice at no charge, deliver firewood to the camp, provide a free meal, have the porta-johns serviced frequently, and generally go out of the way to show us that they appreciate our participation. At some of these events we have had the event organizers walk through the camps to get our opinions on the event, both good and bad, so they can take them into consideration for future events.

It was a real treat getting out there again after such a long break. The town is really small but it has a neat circle in the middle of the village and they kept many of the buildings historical. The town generally likes us being there except the guy that runs the hardware store, he always keeps it closed that weekend. We always set up camp in the same yard and the one homeowner lets us park our "horse-less carriages" in his backyard. Its the same battle scenario every year but its a lot of fun just being out there. Im sad my moms shoulder is in such bad shape that she couldn't take the field, but grateful she was willing to take some pictures.

What is the gentleman in the red pants portraying? Is that a Zouave? Or, because the chevrons are red, does this indicate artillery and hence he is a heavy artilleryman converted to infantry by Grant?

He's actually 14th Brooklyn. Those are Sgt major stripes. He joined our unit some years ago and is in the process of switching to regular union infantry dress and reserving the 14th brooklyn uniform for when he falls in with the other 14th guys at national events. We don't mind too much as he's easy to spot at events. He also knows his stuff and is in the real army, real good guy.

Just got home from my first event since 2019 due to the pandemic. The event was in Angelica NY and hosted by the 136th NY infantry. It's a rather small event but lots of fun. The numbers on the union side were pretty close to what we had in 2019, Confederates were pretty sparse except or their artillery, 5 guns! In attendance infantry wise for the North were 136th NY, 33rd NY, 12th US, 141st PA and my unit 28th NY. I had my mom take some pics. The last pic is my father and I. I'm in the NYS jacket and my dad is in the frock.

View attachment 415408

View attachment 415409

View attachment 415410

View attachment 415411

View attachment 415412

View attachment 415413
Very nice! Thnk you for sharing.

Well in the photo of my group by the stacked arms there are 2 women. The musician is also a woman but not part of my group. The big tall kid by me is 16 and has a baby face still so I guess he could look girly to some. His dad is the 14th brooklyn guy.

He's actually 14th Brooklyn. Those are Sgt major stripes. He joined our unit some years ago and is in the process of switching to regular union infantry dress and reserving the 14th brooklyn uniform for when he falls in with the other 14th guys at national events. We don't mind too much as he's easy to spot at events. He also knows his stuff and is in the real army, real good guy.
do you know the backstory to the uniforms of the 14th BK? Was it just a fanciful commander who wanted to look like zouaves?

Back