Just bought Musket

RSMorris

First Sergeant
Good afternoon,

I bought this musket to use for a presentation I do on Confederate gravesites in the county I live. THe pics are from the images from the company I bought it from. It should be arriving at my house in a few days and can take closer up pics if requested. I know it is very worn and has erosion around the nipple and the end of the bore. I was told it is a M1816 smoothbore converted to percussion and made by L. Pomeroy in 1838. It is missing the middle band but I have already found an original (expensive little bugger) and it is on the way.

A few questions:

1. I know it is was made in 1838, when would the conversion to percussion have taken place? Is there anything that would normally be stamped to gie that info.

2. I don't know if it is a Civil War musket (either side) but the heavy wear would make one think so. Opinions?

3. Is this 1816 design a product of Springfield or H.P. or were they the builder of this design? So where would Pomeroy fit in with this? Were they a contractor to build these and if so a contractor for who?

4. I have never seen a musket other than in pictures, but most I have seen have darker stock. What would account for the lighter colored stock or is it perfectly normal and I am imagining things.

I am sure I will have other questions once I receive it. I know it will never fire again I just liked it for the rough look. Looks like it has a few tales to tell.
1.png
3.png
2.png
5.png
4.png

Last edited:
Nice looking old war horse. Pomeroy was located in Pittsfield, Mass and had contracts to produce theses muskets and produced a lot of them between 1817 and 1836. It should be marked L Pomeroy under the Eagle and is a type 3. It has the Belgian cone conversion probably done between 1855 and 61. It still has the cartouches so I would say the lighter wood is from being in the sun for a long time.

Nice looking old war horse. Pomeroy was located in Pittsfield, Mass and had contracts to produce theses muskets and produced a lot of them between 1817 and 1836. It should be marked L Pomeroy under the Eagle and is a type 3. It has the Belgian cone conversion probably done between 1855 and 61. It still has the cartouches so I would say the lighter wood is from being in the sun for a long time.
Ok, that brings up a question. Supposedly this one was made in 1838, yet it says L. Pomeroy. Did they actually make any beyond 1836? Little things like this keep me up at night.

Well your counterpane cartouche is JH for Joseph Hannis. The one in front of butt tang I'm taking a stab at HKC for Henry K. Craig, but don't bet the farm on that one

I looked up Henry K. Craig. he was Chief of Ordinance Interesting fellow. It says in 1848 until 1851 he was inspector of arsenals. So he would be the H.K.C. So I guess that would mean that cartouche would have been applied 1848 and 1851?.

Ok, that brings up a question. Supposedly this one was made in 1838, yet it says L. Pomeroy. Did they actually make any beyond 1836? Little things like this keep me up at night.
According to Flyderman and other sources they were made till 1836

Then its not a model 1816 but a model 1835/1840

So if the plate on the side, don't know what you call it is after 1836 this it is not a 1816. Huh... I'm not questioning you just trying to wrap my head around it. The dealer I got this from even listed it as a Model 1816. Will do some more research on this. I have seen several others (pics) that have the same anomaly, 1838 L. Pomeroy on the side plate but they are still calling it a Model 1816

So if the plate on the side, don't know what you call it is after 1836 this it is not a 1816. Huh... I'm not questioning you just trying to wrap my head around it. The dealer I got this from even listed it as a Model 1816. Will do some more research on this. I have seen several others (pics) that have the same anomaly, 1838 L. Pomeroy on the side plate but they are still calling it a Model 1816
It called a lock-plate. This may help as the type 3's can be all over the place and confusing.

Attachments

• 1975-B31-Notes-On-The-Model-1816-U-S-Flintlock-Mu.pdf
    2.3 MB · Views: 87
The profile of the butt stock on the musket in the OP photos is that of a Model 1816, not an 1835/40.

Thank you. Should be getting this tomorrow. Will look for other markings. Just curious why a M1816 Musket built by Pomeroy would be listed as a 1838 if Poemeroy quit building in 1836. Not that it matters just like to know these things.

She’s an 1816 the side plate ids her. The 1838 is likely 1836. She looks very nice. The blonde wood though with those crisp car touches is curious. I would apply a couple coats of Kramer’s Best. If she doesn’t start to darken up I would ask someone who knows wood to take a hard look. Then I might start asking questions of the seller. Unless the price was real good that is.

Back