Featured Just a Little Doodle

Championhilz

First Sergeant
Forum Host
While doing some research in the John J. Pettus correspondence at the Mississippi Department of Archives and History, I found the following doodle on the back of a letter sent to Governor Pettus. The letter was dated August 22, 1862, and the doodle had the following caption: "General _____ on his creature." Unfortunately, someone inked through the General's name.
doodle.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
If H then my guess is Hardee, William Joseph - Wasn't he put in command of the army of the Mississippi at around that time ?

If S, then I guess Shelby, Joseph Orville - he was Colonel of the 5th Mississippi Cavalry, then was promoted & commanded a Brigade, the 1st Corps, in John S. Marmaduke's Cavalry Division, Trans-Mississippi Dept !

If H then my guess is Hardee, William Joseph - Wasn't he put in command of the army of the Mississippi at around that time ?

If S, then I guess Shelby, Joseph Orville - he was Colonel of the 5th Mississippi Cavalry, then was promoted & commanded a Brigade, the 1st Corps, in John S. Marmaduke's Cavalry Division, Trans-Mississippi Dept !
I think it just might be Shelby --because of the top of following letters. You sure got me researching...Thanks. Interesting find. Looking again, I'm not so sure...Someone, please find this!:spin:

Last edited:
It could also be a G. Compare the G from General with that letter, seems pretty close to me. Could it be - don't kill me!!!- Grant??? The "t" is in the right distance, the guy on the horse does not seem to be tall and Grant was also not one of the tallest... But what is that with the nose, the nose seems to be peculiar...

also if we knew who sent the letter and the content. maybe it is a doodle from the gov. himself while reading and thinking on the letter. Aug of 62....hummmm some of the things would effect the trans miss...and gov. I am going to say we are looking at an union general but I could be wrong. It would be nice to know more of the content in the letter, might help figure out the envelope.

the name is short and the last letter is a T see how they have crossed the T in creature the cross goes above the T shaft. if the G was capital it would have that upward curve and come down to make a smaller then look at the bottom of the inking before the last letter. looks like the bottom feet on an N. Just some observations. Faraway you may be right for sure. don't think it is more four to five letters in the name. JMO

wish we could see more of the right side of the doodle. just not enough to go on.

Here's a scan showing the right side of the letter:

20150416_152726_resized_zpsao1lkbdk.jpg

The letter is from Meridian, Mississippi, written by an L. Houghton, informing Pettus that General Reuben Davis had resigned his commission as General of State Troops, and asking that L.E. Houston be appointed to the position.

Here's a scan showing the right side of the letter:

20150416_152726_resized_zpsao1lkbdk.jpg

The letter is from Meridian, Mississippi, written by an L. Houghton, informing Pettus that General Reuben Davis had resigned his commission as General of State Troops, and asking that L.E. Houston be appointed to the position.
Hey that is a lot better, with the information that could be L.E Houston I just know that last tallest letter is a T I think from the crossing of the other one. Thanks for sharing.

Back