Juneteenth and Slavery as the Primary Cause of the American Civil War

BN-UC760_bkrvab_GR_20170703121430.jpg

Juneteenth is an American holiday celebrating the liberation of slaves in Texas, June 19, 1865. They were the last Americans held in bondage under a system of legalized slavery that had plagued our country since before we won our independence from the British. It’s also called Juneteenth Independence Day or Freedom Day.

Perhaps we should fire off our fireworks on this day instead of 4th of July. More than half of the men who signed the Declaration of Independence claiming “We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal…” were slave owners.

June 19, 1865, is the beginning of us at least trying to be not openly hypocritical about that promise. We are still climbing that mountain every day. I think true patriotism is looking at our history with objective eyes, seeing our mistakes, and striving to do better. That's how we make America greater than it ever has been before.

This is why I reject Lost Cause rhetoric that claims the American Civil War was about anything but slavery. That is simply and demonstrably untrue. It’s why I wrote The American Civil War WAS About Slavery: A Quick Handbook of Quotes to Reference When Debating Those Who Would Argue Otherwise. I was recently asked about that book in an interview. Here’s what I had to say:

If you’re interested in the book you can get it on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07GC8XN3G/?tag=civilwartalkc-20.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back