Restricted Debate Juneteenth and Slavery as the Primary Cause of the American Civil War

Status
Not open for further replies.
BN-UC760_bkrvab_GR_20170703121430.jpg

Juneteenth is an American holiday celebrating the liberation of slaves in Texas, June 19, 1865. They were the last Americans held in bondage under a system of legalized slavery that had plagued our country since before we won our independence from the British. It’s also called Juneteenth Independence Day or Freedom Day.

Perhaps we should fire off our fireworks on this day instead of 4th of July. More than half of the men who signed the Declaration of Independence claiming “We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal…” were slave owners.

June 19, 1865, is the beginning of us at least trying to be not openly hypocritical about that promise. We are still climbing that mountain every day. I think true patriotism is looking at our history with objective eyes, seeing our mistakes, and striving to do better. That's how we make America greater than it ever has been before.

This is why I reject Lost Cause rhetoric that claims the American Civil War was about anything but slavery. That is simply and demonstrably untrue. It’s why I wrote The American Civil War WAS About Slavery: A Quick Handbook of Quotes to Reference When Debating Those Who Would Argue Otherwise. I was recently asked about that book in an interview. Here’s what I had to say:

If you’re interested in the book you can get it on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07GC8XN3G/?tag=civilwartalkc-20.

Last edited by a moderator:

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!
Nothing could possibly be more preposterous or outrageous than the ludicrous idea that The War for Confederate Independence was fought over slavery. Slavery was completely, thoroughly, and utterly irrelevant. The War was fought over the right of political independence. And for no other reason.

Last edited:

W. Richardson

Captain
Great post, but I'll stick with July 4th as my countries Independence day, However anyone is allowed to celebrate any day as their Independence day.

I agree the War for Southern Independence was caused by Slavery and the agitation of Slavery.

Respectfully,
William

Edited: Just purchased your book.

One Nation,
Two countries
Confed-American Flag - Thumbnail.jpg

CSA Today

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Nothing could possibly be more preposterous or outrageous than the ludicrous idea that The War for Confederate Independence was fought over slavery. Slavery was completely, thoroughly, and utterly irrelevant. The War was fought over the right of political independence. And for no other reason.
Bravo. :thumbsup:

unionblue

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Member of the Year
Nothing could possibly be more preposterous or outrageous than the ludicrous idea that The War for Confederate Independence was fought over slavery.

Sorry, but the historical results are in and slavery has won by a factual landslide!

Slavery was completely, thoroughly, and utterly irrelevant.

$4 BILLION dollars worth of human property "thoroughly and utterly irrelevant?" Too bad no one told the slaveholding States that.

The War was fought over the right of political independence. And for no other reason.
The political independence was sought to deprive it from the entire United States in general and nearly four million slaves in particular.

And for no other reason.

Happy Juneteenth!

Sincerely,
Unionblue

Great post, but I'll stick with July 4th as my countries Independence day, However anyone is allowed to celebrate any day as their Independence day.

I agree the War for Southern Independence was caused by Slavery and the agitation of Slavery.

Respectfully,
William

Edited: Just purchased your book.

One Nation,
Two countries
View attachment 313536
Hey, thanks!

CLuckJD

Private
The War was fought over the right of political independence. And for no other reason.
1,000% TRUE! Political independence from Federal interference with slaveholder interests in human chattel property. And I don't blame 'em one wit. If my sole source of wealth had been threatened, I'd a fought tooth, nail and claw, too!

ForeverFree

Major
Just under 100,000 black men who resided in the Confederate States were enlistees in the US army and navy. For those Southerners, the Civil War was unquestionably about slavery.

- Alan

WJC

Brigadier General
Thread Medic
Answered the Call for Reinforcements
In spite of what the secessionists said?
And, while we are at it, what was that "political independence" for if not to protect the practice of chattel slavery?

W. Richardson

Captain
And, while we are at it, what was that "political independence" for if not to protect the practice of chattel slavery?
But all they had to do to protect chattel slavery was to stay in the Union. Lincoln was supportive of the Corwin Amendment.

Then......

IMO they did not feel that slavery would be protected even with the Corwin Amendment, and went with the Independence path to protect the institution of slavery.

Either choice, slavery continued. Under the one it would be perpetual, under the other slavery ended after 4 years of war.

Respectfully,
William

One Nation,
Two countries
Confed-American Flag - Thumbnail.jpg

19thGeorgia

2nd Lieutenant
This is why I reject Lost Cause rhetoric that claims the American Civil War was about anything but slavery. That is simply and demonstrably untrue. It’s why I wrote The American Civil War WAS About Slavery: A Quick Handbook of Quotes to Reference When Debating Those Who Would Argue Otherwise.
Edited.

What that war was about...

"The principles and position of the present administration of the United States - the republican party - present some puzzling questions. While it is a fixed principle with them never to allow the increase of a foot of slave territory, they seem to be equally determined not to part with an inch 'of the accursed soil.' Notwithstanding their clamor against the institution, they seemed to be equally opposed to getting more, or letting go what they have got. They were ready to fight on the accession of Texas, and are equally ready to fight now on her secession. Why is this? How can this strange paradox be accounted for? There seems to be but one rational solution and that is, notwithstanding their professions of humanity, they are disinclined to give up the benefits they derive from slave labor. Their philanthropy yields to their interest. The idea of enforcing the laws, has but one object, and that is a collection of the taxes, raised by slave labor to swell the fund necessary to meet their heavy appropriations. The spoils is what they are after though they come from the labor of the slave."
-Alexander Stephens, "Cornerstone Speech" (this is the part Unionist True Believers don't like to quote)

CLuckJD

Private
Either choice, slavery continued. Under one it would be perpetual, under the other ended after 4 years of war.
Not quite. "Slavery ends 70 years later or 66 years sooner right after Civil War" is more apt for white southern rebel positions.

(See my post here if you wonder why slavery's demise was predestined by zero eco viability).

Potomac Pride

First Sergeant
View attachment 312299

Juneteenth is an American holiday celebrating the liberation of slaves in Texas, June 19, 1865. They were the last Americans held in bondage under a system of legalized slavery that had plagued our country since before we won our independence from the British. It’s also called Juneteenth Independence Day or Freedom Day.

Perhaps we should fire off our fireworks on this day instead of 4th of July. More than half of the men who signed the Declaration of Independence claiming “We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal…” were slave owners.

June 19, 1865, is the beginning of us at least trying to be not openly hypocritical about that promise. We are still climbing that mountain every day. I think true patriotism is looking at our history with objective eyes, seeing our mistakes, and striving to do better. That's how we make America greater than it ever has been before.

This is why I reject Lost Cause rhetoric that claims the American Civil War was about anything but slavery. That is simply and demonstrably untrue. It’s why I wrote The American Civil War WAS About Slavery: A Quick Handbook of Quotes to Reference When Debating Those Who Would Argue Otherwise. I was recently asked about that book in an interview. Here’s what I had to say:

If you’re interested in the book you can get it on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07GC8XN3G/?tag=civilwartalkc-20.
Well of course the Civil War was about slavery. However, slavery was not the only thing it was about because there were other issues involved as well including state sovereignty, sectionalism and fiscal policy.

First things first. Are you referring to the chattel slave-owning secessionists of 1776, 1787, or 1861?

1,000% TRUE! Political independence from Federal interference with slaveholder interests in human chattel property. And I don't blame 'em one wit. If my sole source of wealth had been threatened, I'd a fought tooth, nail and claw, too!

Do you mean the chattel slave-owners in Missouri? Maryland? Kentucky? West Virginia? New Jersey? Delaware? West Virginia? Sorry, but you didn't make it clear.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!