June 12 National Peanut Butter Cookie Day

donna

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host
The Peanut Butter Cookie was invented in the 1910s by George Washington Carver. He published his book on the peanut and how to use it. The book was entitled, "How to Grow the Peanut and 105 Ways of Preparing it for Human Consumption". He included several recipes that called for chopped peanuts. Peanut Butter was added to the cookies about 20 years later.

George Washington Carver's Peanut Cookies:

3 cups flour
2 eggs
1 cup sugar
1 1/2 cups ground peanuts
1/2 cup butter
1 cup sweet milk
1 teaspoon baking powder
vanilla to taste

Cream butter and sugar. Add eggs well beaten. Add the milk and flour and baking powder. Flavor to taste with vanilla and add peanuts last. Drop one spoonful to the cooking in well greased pans. Bake quickly.

Bake some peanut or peanut butter cookies today.

Please add any peanut butter cookies you have or enjoy.

What a great cookie to celebrate! Good with hot coffee or a glass of cold milk. Peanut butter cookies are my all-time favorite with toll house a close second. Here's a peanut butter cookie recipe from my Mother's cookbook:
1 cup margarine
1 1/4 cups flour
1 t baking soda
1 cup peanut butter
1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1 t vanilla
2 cups quick oats
1 t baking powder
1/4 t salt
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
In a small bowl, stir oats, flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. In a large bowl with mixer at medium speed, beat margarine and peanut butter until smooth. Beat in sugar until blended. Beat in eggs and vanilla. Add flour mixture and beat until well blended. Drop rounded teaspoons 2 inches apart on un-greased cookie sheet and bake at 350 degrees for 12 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove and cool completely on wire racks, then store in tightly closed container.

View attachment 142419

Yum! Haven't had a peanut butter cookie for quite some time. There's no real good commercially made peanut butter cookies, you have to make them from scratch as everything else pales in comparison.
I agree, @Anna Elizabeth Henry! These are made from scratch or forget it!

With all due respect to everyone's family recipes, I have to disagree with using margarine. Aside from the fact that it's just a mutant, weird goo posing as food, it leaves a pretty unpleasant aftertaste in baked goods. Butter is the way to go, although with some cookies I'll rely on the mutant, weird goo known as shortening. :smile:

I agree, @Anna Elizabeth Henry! These are made from scratch or forget it!

With all due respect to everyone's family recipes, I have to disagree with using margarine. Aside from the fact that it's just a mutant, weird goo posing as food, it leaves a pretty unpleasant aftertaste in baked goods. Butter is the way to go, although with some cookies I'll rely on the mutant, weird goo known as shortening. :smile:

I'm with you @amweiner margarine is not something I ever bake with. I've used Crisco instead for certain baked good, but never margarine.

I'm with you @amweiner margarine is not something I ever bake with. I've used Crisco instead for certain baked good, but never margarine.
Margarine is oil,do not use as a substitute as it will change the formula.in baking it is not a recipe it is a formula,that is why when deviations are made it can really change what you were trying to bake.

Back