July 1863 Quartermaster Report of the 38th Virginia

Tom Elmore

Captain
Member of the Year
In the Fold3 archives for the 38th Virginia, of Armistead's brigade, an interesting report of "forage issued to public animals" appears for the month of July 1863. It was prepared by the regimental quartermaster, Captain John T. Averett.

On June 30, the 38th Virginia mustered 36 officers and 342 men, for a total of 378 - larger than average for the army. During the July 3 afternoon assault, it lost 230 of those officers and men [figures from Busey and Busey, Regimental Strength and Losses at Gettysburg]. Within a four hour period, the quartermaster found himself with considerable excess transportation capacity.

Captain Averett's monthly forage report tells the story:
On July 1, the regiment had 45 horses, 25 mules and 7 wagons.
On July 5, 1 of the mules was captured by the enemy.
On July 7, 42 horses were transferred to Major Dearing's artillery battalion.
On July 20, 2 mules and 2 wagons were transferred to Major Carter [probably Maj. Richard H. Carter, the brigade quartermaster].
On July 25, 1 additional horse was transferred to Major Carter.
At the end of the month, on July 31, Captain Averett was left with 2 horses, 22 mules and 5 wagons.

During the July 3 artillery bombardment, Maj. Dearing's four batteries lost the following horses killed or disabled:
Captain Macon's battery - 8
Capt. Stribling's battery - 10
Capt. Caskie's battery - 7
Capt. Blount's battery - 12

It appears that the July 7 transfer of 42 horses to Maj. Dearing principally made up the losses he incurred within his batteries during the cannonade on July 3, with the difference being additional loss from among members of his staff and/or during the early part of the retreat back to Virginia.

Thanks for posting. I had just started to read Major Dearing's official report on the Gettysburg campaign. I was trying to follow the 24# Howitzers at Gettysburg as I want to see them. I have driven past them many times not knowing how unique they are.

I recall you pointed me to the 24 pounders in an old post. We may be making a Gettysburg trip next Wednesday as I need a fix bad and I just was looking at the waymarking post.

Link on the 24# Howitzers.
http://www.waymarking.com/waymarks/...an_Bronze_Field_Howitzers_No_35_Gettysburg_PA

Portion of Dearing's report which matches your horse casualties.

We remained near Chambersburg until the morning of July 2. On that day we marched to within a few miles of the battle-field of Gettysburg, and went into camp, after a very long and tiresome march both to men and horses. That evening about dusk, orders were received to move at once to the field of battle, which was done, my battalion encamping (or rather bivouacking) for the night in rear of the line of battle of the First Corps.
About daybreak the next morning (the morning of July 3), it marched to the field of battle, and was, later in the morning, put in position on the crest of the hill immediately in front of the enemy's position, which was assailed by General Pickett's division. On my left and rear was Colonel Cabell's Artillery Battalion, and on my right and rear was the Washington Artillery Battalion. Early that morning, the enemy threw forward a strong line of skirmishers in front of my position, and, having no infantry to drive them away, Captain [R. M.] Stribling's battery was ordered to drive them in, which was done by firing about a dozen rounds. Several of my men and horses were wounded by these sharpshooters. There was no more firing from my battalion until the signal guns for the commencement of the general attack were fired.
Maj. J.P. W. Read, who was superintending the firing of Captain Stribling's battery in the morning, was wounded in the head by a fragment of shell. Though not dangerous, the wound was painful. Major Read did not leave the army on account of this wound, but has been with it all of the time.
When the signal guns were fired, I at once brought my battalion in battery to the front, and commenced firing slowly and deliberately. To insure more accuracy and to guard against the waste of ammunition, I fired by battery. The firing on the part of my battalion was very good, and most of the shell and shrapnel burst well. My fire was directed at the batteries immediately in my front, and which occupied the heights charged by Pickett's division. Three caissons were seen by myself to blow up, and I saw several batteries of the enemy leave the field. At one time, just before General Pickett's division advanced, the batteries of the enemy in our front had nearly all ceased firing; only a few scattering batteries here and there could be seen to fire.
About this time my ammunition became completely exhausted, excepting a few rounds in my rifled guns, which were used upon a column of infantry which advanced on General Pickett's right flank. I had sent back my caissons an hour and a half before for a fresh supply, but they could not get it. Two of my batteries and a part of Captain [G. V.] Moody's battery, of Colonel Alexander's battalion, under command of Captain Moody, remained under a very heavy fire for upward of an hour without being able to fire a single shot. My own batteries remained on the field after every round of ammunition was exhausted and until I could receive some fresh batteries which Colonel Alexander sent to me.
Captain Moody's four 24-pounder howitzers, two of Captain [Joe] Norcom's guns, and one of Captain [M. B.] Miller's, and Captain [O. B.] Taylor's battery were sent to me. I put them in position, and succeeded in driving back the column of infantry which was at that time advancing. This was near 6 o'clock, as nearly as I can recollect. After the enemy was driven back at this point, nothing but desultory picket firing could be heard on that part of the line for the rest of the day.
In this engagement, Captain Stribling's battery had 3 men wounded and 10 horses killed and left on the field. Captain [M. C.] Macon had 3 men killed. 3 wounded, and 8 horses killed and left on the field; Captain [W. H.] Caskie, 3 men wounded and 7 horses killed and left on the field; Captain [J. G.] Blount had 5 men killed and wounded, and 12 horses killed. There were others so slightly wounded as not to unfit them for duty, and, consequently, not reported.

Back