July 13 National French Fry Day

donna

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host
They state French Fries were introduced during the 18th century in the area that later became Belgium. The name French was applied to them at the beginning of the 19th century. Thomas Jefferson introduced them to the United States. He served them in the White House during his terms as president (1801-1809).

A classic French Fry Recipe:

6 Russet potatoes
canola oil
kosher salt

Cut the potatoes up in equal size. Soak the fries in water and wash and rinse them at least twice. Pat them dry.

Deep fry for about 7 minutes, Take them out and let them cool down. Sprinkle with kosher salt and enjoy them. They can be freeze and reheated and served at a latter time.

They state French Fries were introduced during the 18th century in the area that later became Belgium. The name French was applied to them at the beginning of the 19th century. Thomas Jefferson introduced them to the United States. He served them in the White House during his terms as president (1801-1809).

A classic French Fry Recipe:

6 Russet potatoes
canola oil
kosher salt

Cut the potatoes up in equal size. Soak the fries in water and wash and rinse them at least twice. Pat them dry.

Deep fry for about 7 minutes, Take them out and let them cool down. Sprinkle with kosher salt and enjoy them. They can be freeze and reheated and served at a latter time.
If you fry them twice they get nice and crispy.

According to Mcdonald's website, their fries contain:
French Fries
: Potatoes, canola oil, hydrogenated soybean oil, safflower oil, natural flavour (vegetable source),
dextrose, sodium acid pyrophosphate (maintain colour), citric acid (preservative), dimethylpolysiloxane (anti-
foaming agent), cooked in vegetable oil (canola oil, corn oil, soybean oil, hydrogenated soybean oil (TBHQ), citric
acid, dimethylpolysiloxane).

Now when you look at this, there are indeed a lot of "ingredients". Seven of them are in the vegetable oil. Eleven ingredients are vegetable products: Potatoes, canola oil, hydrogenated soybean oil, safflower oil, natural flavour (vegetable source), dextrose, citric acid (preservative),canola oil, corn oil, soybean oil, hydrogenated soybean oil, citric acid.

Disodium pyrophosphate or sodium acid pyrophosphate is a popular leavening agent found in baking powders. It combines with sodium bicarbonate to release carbon dioxide.

According to McD's, Dimethylpolysiloxane is a component of our vegetable oil. It's there in only a small amount but it has a large role - to prevent our oil from foaming and boiling over, which would be a serious safety risk for our crew. Other uses of dimethylpolysiloxane include being used in chewing gum base, in molasses, soft drinks, wine fermentation, soups, and curing solutions.

Apparently all those gnarly sounding things in fries are not so bad after all. :wink:

Edit: I forgot this one. TBHQ (Tertiary Butyle Hydroquinone) is a synthetic food grade antioxidant and is a component of our vegetable oil. It's used to stabilize our oil against oxidative deterioration, which basically means it helps preserve our oil.

One item missing from their Web site is beef tallow which the lab found in their fries.beef tallow is used for flavor which is animal fat.McDonalds used to fry their fries only in beef tallow before everyone became health conscious and changed to vegetable oil and canola oil.that was why their fries tasted so good but not anymore.

Amazing how many "surprise ingredients" are in the foods that we eat! Many of the lists look like a science fair project. Ever look at the ingredient list on anything, even a simple box of cereal? Enough to make me wonder???

I like making my own fries, hand cut, skin on, long cuts, in a bag with a bit of olive oil, shake to coat and on the oven at 425, moving them around several times until it is done.

Within the last months I discovered that one can make fries in the microwave. The thinner the potato the better it cooks. Thin mandolin sliced rounds on a single layer work the best. Need a bit of oil so they do not stick. I usually nuke a regular size single coated paper plate for 3 minutes and then add 30 seconds at a time until done.

One of my favorite thing to do with leftover fries (and it works better with leftover fries, like the ones you take home from the mountain of fries served for dinner at some place and refrigerate in the white Styrofoam container) is fritatas: Dependin on the number of fries I have toss them in an oven proof pan with 3-4 beaten eggs, until coated on top and bottom, a dash or two of parmesan cheese and bake at 350 until solid. Makes a good weekend breakfast for leftovers.

Diane reminded me about Belgian Fries. It is kind of a phenomenon that slowly is coming to the States, but they have fry stands (like the one pictured, click on the picture to see the option of sauces for the fries - in the middle. Mayo is the basic one) that sell fries in a variety of sizes with a whole bunch of a variety of sauces. Have to eat with a fork (they give out plastic little ones.) Not as heavy as a Canadian Poutin, but can get there:

Last edited by a moderator:
One item missing from their Web site is beef tallow which the lab found in their fries.beef tallow is used for flavor which is animal fat.McDonalds used to fry their fries only in beef tallow before everyone became health conscious and changed to vegetable oil and canola oil.that was why their fries tasted so good but not anymore.
In Canada, the beef tallow was removed as some ethnic groups do not eat meat. They are both vegetarian and vegan friendly. On the American site it says natural beef flavour, but does not specify from where it comes, except that it does contain dairy and wheat.

I love McDonalds fries, but I absolutely abhor cold fries anywhere! I rarely eat Mickey D's fries, but when I do, I order them without salt. That way, they have to make them specially, and then they're nice and hot. I put salt on them myself as soon as I get them. Works for me!

Back