HF Jules Verne's Civil War novella The Blockade Runner.

Historical-Fiction

major bill

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host
1612451808143.png

Most of us know of French novelist, poet, and playwright Jules Verne's Roman de la Science (Novels of Science), Some of these were written during the Civil War. Five Weeks in a Balloon (1863), Journey to the Center of the Earth (1864), and From the Earth to the Moon (1865). Fewer forum members know of the 1865 novella Les Forceurs de blocus (The Blockade Runner). The reason for this is the novella was not published in English until 1874. Still Verne's took time out of the Novels of Science to write an adventure novella about the running of the Union blockade.

Forum members who are fans of Jules Verne might want to read this novella.

Last edited by a moderator:
Most of us know of French novelist, poet, and playwright Jules Verne's Roman de la Science (Novels of Science), Some of these were written during the Civil War. Five Weeks in a Balloon (1863), Journey to the Center of the Earth (1864), and From the Earth to the Moon (1865). Fewer forum members know of the 1865 novella Les Forceurs de blocus (The Blockade Runner). The reason for this is the novella was not published in English until 1874. Still Verne's took time out of the Novels of Science to write an adventure novella about the running of the Union blockade.

Forum members who are fans of Jules Verne might want to read this novella.
I did and it's not bad. Overall the blockade was successful with just ten percent of the Confederate cotton crop exported and ten percent of that cotton being confiscated by the USN.
Leftyhunter

This is the first I have known of this. I need to check it out. Thanks!
Same here.

I also had never heard of this work.

Verne has been one of my favorites from that era since I was a child.
Many call him the "Father of the Steampunk" genre .
But as all Verne fans know, his novels were based on factual (cutting edge) technology of his day, along with the "what if" questions he always asked.

The man really did predict the future of technology.

Verne may have been the most famous to write fictional stories of the blockade but there are a few others available to read on archive.org. Thrilling stories of evading warships and braving the storm seas was a genre in the later part of the 19th century.

Marcy the Blockade Runner https://archive.org/details/marcyblockaderuncast/page/n5/mode/2up

The Blockade Runner-A Dangerous Prize https://archive.org/details/strangestoriesofshac/page/n13/mode/2up

The Blockade Runner by J Perkins Tracy https://archive.org/details/blockaderunner00trac

Also of interest will be the story of Augustus Charles Hobart-Hampden, also known as Hobart Pasha, a British Royal Navy Officer who captained runners and wrote later of his adventures

Never heard of it previously and did not know it is available for Kindle!

it is now downloaded! Going to be frigid here in north central PA, and just the weather to stay in and read!

Back