1. Welcome to the CivilWarTalk, a forum for questions and discussions about the American Civil War! Become a member today for full access to all of our resources, it's fast, simple, and absolutely free!
Dismiss Notice
Join and Become a Patron at CivilWarTalk!
Support this site with a monthly or yearly subscription! Active Patrons get to browse the site Ad free!
START BY JOINING NOW!

Jubal Early's pre battle military objectives - Wheatland question

Discussion in 'Battle of Gettysburg' started by Wallyfish, May 16, 2017.

1. Wallyfish

Wallyfish Sergeant Trivia Game Winner

In late June, Jubal E. Early had military objectives to cross the Susquehanna at Wrightsville, capture Lancaster, cut the railroad line into Philadelphia, and then attack Harrisburg from the east. Major General Robert E. Rodes’s division would attack the city’s front simultaneously. However three fateful days in Gettysburg changed forever those objectives.

I have never heard of any Confederate military objective to capture James Buchanan's Lancaster home during Lee's invasion. While capturing Harrishurg, burning bridges and cutting railroad lines would offer a significant military win, I would think that capturing a prior US President's home would be an easy and significant "political" win for Lee. Is there any documentation where Lee or his Generals ever discussed Wheatland as a military objective?

FYI- Tours are offered at Wheatland. It takes just over an hour for the tour and is an excellent stop for those heading east to see Lancaster and Amish country.

Jimklag and O' Be Joyful like this.

2. (Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)
  3. Tom Elmore

Tom Elmore First Sergeant

Never heard of Buchanan's home mentioned as an objective. But I can't see why capturing the home of a president who thought that slavery was an issue for the states and territories to decide, and that the federal government had no right to prevent states from seceding, would interest the Confederates from a political standpoint.

4. infomanpa

infomanpa Sergeant

I have to agree with Tom on this one. I don't see how capturing Buchanan's home would be a significant political win. By the way, I did the Wheatland tour and found it more interesting than I thought it would be. I should have visited John Reynolds' tomb nearby, but oh well.

5. Wallyfish

Wallyfish Sergeant Trivia Game Winner

Thanks for the comments. I have never heard of Wheatland or Buchanan being a Confederate target as well. But regardless of Buchanan's succession and slavery views, I would think that the simple act of the Confederates forcibly taking over a former US President's home would be a political victory in itself. Heck, maybe the Confederates had no idea he lived in Lancaster.

Yankeedave likes this.

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)