What is this? Joslyn Carbine Model 1862

Cornpone and Molasses

First Sergeant
I am looking at possibly purchasing a Joslyn Carbine Model 1862. Like all Joslyn 1862 models it has the brass mounted hardware and patent dates on top of the breech. The only issue seems to be that that it has the later model 1864 model spring loaded catch on the breech block and the shrouded firing pin. There is an acceptance cartouche on the stock. Could this model 1862 been arsenal converted to a model 1864 style breech block tensioned release and shrouded firing pin during the Civil War as a transition model, or is this just a post war improvement? I do not know enough about these interesting carbines and would appreciate any information from people here better informed than myself.
Thanks.

6E98F819-FC6A-444F-BFD0-4B7EDA6B1690.jpeg

301CCB5A-6498-4821-BCF5-55086459CB0F.jpeg

793BB157-F619-47C0-8EEF-2EC0ED39CF56.jpeg

EFC816D9-739E-479F-9950-6A25B001D9EB.jpeg

7593DD89-E8EB-4D2A-AB5A-505AC47D1ECB.jpeg

5A3165A3-6F1D-49E4-A26B-6F2823018562.jpeg

83C3DA4E-555A-42F7-8319-941B36A7405B.jpeg

F0D9454E-BAAC-4D28-AEC5-02AF0F112FD6.jpeg

9E146C3F-4C05-4399-828F-E71C780A1066.jpeg

F8307EF7-A038-416E-9919-79F62051D071.jpeg

34D3458F-902E-48ED-970C-F8CE47D5C40D.jpeg

Last edited:
Cornpone and Molasses, it is a first model 62, with brass hardware & a friction breach closure. at 25 yards off of the bench a 4 inch group, and off hand an 8inch group. the bore is very good +. do you have one , either model? and do you shoot yours? toot.

Cornpone and Molasses, too load it, I push the 6 m/m blank into the case with thumb pressure, and fill the case up with 2FG, BP, leaving just enough space for the bullet. then I push the bullet into the case with thumb pressure, then I give it a gentile tap with a small mallet. I insert the case into the chamber in the 12 o-clock position, and fire it. the one you posted, if you get it let me know and also if you shoot it. mine was $3000+. I think that they are harder to acquire and less people shoot them than the BURNSIDES, SPENCERS, GALIGERS, SHARPS ETC, all of witch I have and many more. I have 3 models of SHARPS, I like shooting my SLANT BREACH MODLE.it will burn your left wrist, were a glove it you shoot one. good luck with the JOSLYN. I shoot all of the original CIVIL WAR CARBINES & LONG ARMS. they were made to be shot back in the day and if safe to be shot, keep the loads on the weak side till you see what is going on with them, JMHO. I bring them back to life, it is a great feeling. toot.

Cornpone and Molasses, it is a first model 62, with brass hardware & a friction breach closure. at 25 yards off of the bench a 4 inch group, and off hand an 8inch group. the bore is very good +. do you have one , either model? and do you shoot yours? toot.
I’m going to look at this one on Friday. A good friend who manages the gun shop where this is at sent me pictures. If I like it I will put down a deposit. Would love to shoot it but would need to get it checked first.

if'n you drop the hammer on it, let me know? sounds you are lucky, you don't see them very often. and yes they are a blast to shoot, pun intended! and are very easy to clean up after shooting them, just put a funnel into the open breach and pour water, hot or cold, no soap/ detergent needed, doesn't matter, down the bore and clean it like a break open shot gun, so simple that a CAVE MAN CAN DO IT!! toot.

you did good to find / pull it out of the wood work. as stated they don't show up very much. as I see it, if the hammer drops , holds on half & full cock & and the firing pin pushes foreword with your finger & protrudes out of the front of the breach block it should be good to go. they are a pretty simple gun to shoot. what was the final price? I try to shoot mine about once a month. clean up is very easy, just open the breach block and put a funnel in it and pout a tea kettle of warm water down the barrel swab & viola. so just like cleaning a BP, DBL SHOTGUN. have fun shooting it and keep us informed with a range report. toot.

you did good to find / pull it out of the wood work. as stated they don't show up very much. as I see it, if the hammer drops , holds on half & full cock & and the firing pin pushes foreword with your finger & protrudes out of the front of the breach block it should be good to go. they are a pretty simple gun to shoot. what was the final price? I try to shoot mine about once a month. clean up is very easy, just open the breach block and put a funnel in it and pout a tea kettle of warm water down the barrel swab & viola. so just like cleaning a BP, DBL SHOTGUN. have fun shooting it and keep us informed with a range report. toot.
It’s on layaway so it will be another month or so before I can bring it home.

what armory were they inspected in / at, SPRINGFIELD, MA. or at the factory at STONINGTON, CT? how many inspectors were they that did the inspections? toot.

Back