Chamberlain Joshua Chamberlain---True Story

Good point!

Yes, I read that the learned and scholarly Chamberlain tended to embellish and romanticize his accounts after the war.

Apparently Chamberlain received many letters during his lifetime. From what I can ascertain, however, there is no evidence or confirmation of the existence of this particular letter. The publisher, Hearst, may well have published dramatized versions of Chamberlain’s recollections in a complete letter form to sell more publications.

I suspect, though, that there would be some basis of truth in any reported story, even if it was exaggerated.
Who’s to say that even if a letter did turn up that the claim in the letter is accurate? If it did exist all we have is someone in Alabama writing a letter to a famous man saying “I could have shot you but I’m so romantic and heroic that I didn’t pull the trigger”.

I agree it’s a nice romantic story but as with a lot of tales it simply doesn’t pass the smell test.

Stonewall DID say to "kill the brave ones" (or something to that effect). However, in this story (because that's what it is 😀) the particular soldier did not do his full duty but instead spared the enemy.

I think it makes for some good 'ol romanticizin' after the war but I doubt it is true. Nonetheless, it is a good story and thank you for sharing 👍

Back