1872: Campaigner for Horace Greeley’s Campaign​
1875: United States Senator from Tennessee​

Died: July 31, 1875

Place of Death: Carter County, Tennessee

Time of Death: About 2:00 AM

Cause of Death: Stroke

Burial Place: Andrew Johnson National Cemetery, Greeneville, Tennessee

Last edited by a moderator:
Johnson was a some what interesting and at times unsuccessful. The 17th President of the United States.
I wrote a thesis of Johnson for my History Class when I was in college. But that was a long time ago.
Thanks for sharing this awesome article.

I really hope this thread doesn't turn into a hate-fest for Johnson. He was an able politician, but he wasn't as able at statecraft as Lincoln. He loved the South as it had been, and his attempt to restore it inadvertantly allowed the Radicals to get their way.

Johnson was a some what interesting and at times unsuccessful. The 17th President of the United States.
I wrote a thesis of Johnson for my History Class when I was in college. But that was a long time ago.
Thanks for sharing this awesome article.
Could you explain why Lincoln choose Johnson as his VP ? What qualified him as a running mate to Lincoln ?Johnson being a what would be referred later as a Southern Democrat.A man who was total opposite of the politician who would fulfill Lincoln's post war policies.One would say that Lincoln failed in this selection due to failure of inquiry into Johnson's political background and philosophy.Not that these dreams of his own death should have effected his selection but for the future of his policies and the dread of the Radical Rep, who Lincoln knew would attempt to affect his strategy as they had during his administration,Prehabs you may know of a authority or book on this issue

Could you explain why Lincoln choose Johnson as his VP ? What qualified him as a running mate to Lincoln ?Johnson being a what would be referred later as a Southern Democrat.A man who was total opposite of the politician who would fulfill Lincoln's post war policies.One would say that Lincoln failed in this selection due to failure of inquiry into Johnson's political background and philosophy.Not that these dreams of his own death should have effected his selection but for the future of his policies and the dread of the Radical Rep, who Lincoln knew would attempt to affect his strategy as they had during his administration,Prehabs you may know of a authority or book on this issue

Thank you for your question on this ...I found a list of my Bibliography.
These are some of the books that I did my research from.

Hans L. Trefousse, Andrew Johnson a Biography. (New York: W.W. Norton & Company, Inc., 1989), Pg 176 & 194.

Eli Fabre, Making America. (Boston: Hought Mifflin Company, 1999), Pg 2.

I hope that this lists help you with your questions.

Respectfully submitted.

Seduzal

Could you explain why Lincoln choose Johnson as his VP ? What qualified him as a running mate to Lincoln ?Johnson being a what would be referred later as a Southern Democrat.A man who was total opposite of the politician who would fulfill Lincoln's post war policies...

Obviously, because he needed a border state / nominally slave-supporting running mate on the slate. I'm sorry that doesn't quite fit the "scheming Lincoln" thing we here so much about, but it should not be a surprise because Lincoln had specifically stated he would not challenge slavery where it existed. What about that is so hard for apologists to understand?

p
Obviously, because he needed a border state / nominally slave-supporting running mate on the slate. I'm sorry that doesn't quite fit the "scheming Lincoln" thing we here so much about, but it should not be a surprise because Lincoln had specifically stated he would not challenge slavery where it existed. What about that is so hard for apologists to understand?
When was the emancipation proclamation .before this or after the election in '64 ?Did not the proclamation free only states which were not under Union control ? This action was more than a ''Challenge''. Please to explain the'' scheming " that you refer to .AL was a brilliant politician but I have never heard of him as scheming.

Last edited:
...When was the emancipation proclamation. before this or after the election in '64 ?Did not the proclamation free only states which were not under Union control ? This action was more than a ''Challenge''. Please to explain the'' scheming " that you refer to .AL was a brilliant politician but I have never heard of him as scheming.

As far as AL being a schemer, it's standard Lost Cause fare. I'm encouraged that you've never come across it.

As for the timing of Johnson's being selected as Lincoln's running mate, good point. btw, just after he was sworn in as VP he addressed the Senate chamber: “I am a-goin’ for to tell you here to-day; yes, I’m a-goin for to tell you all, that I’m a plebian! I glory in it; I am a plebian! The people—yes, the people of the United States have made me what I am; and I am a-goin’ for to tell you here to-day—yes, to-day, in this place—that the people are everything.”

As far as AL being a schemer, it's standard Lost Cause fare. I'm encouraged that you've never come across it.

As for the timing of Johnson's being selected as Lincoln's running mate, good point. btw, just after he was sworn in as VP he addressed the Senate chamber: “I am a-goin’ for to tell you here to-day; yes, I’m a-goin for to tell you all, that I’m a plebian! I glory in it; I am a plebian! The people—yes, the people of the United States have made me what I am; and I am a-goin’ for to tell you here to-day—yes, to-day, in this place—that the people are everything.”
WHAT did he mean by this?Was he under the effects of alcohol induced hallucinations? Did he know what a Roman pleb was/a member of the service to the patricians .-a NUB-A commander.I do not think that the Roman pleb was something to be proud of..Johnson was totally unqualified for this position at this time of critical politics with a nation that was still divided over what to do with the free blacks and with the Southern states as their return to the nation.What policy did he institute which was not overturned by the Radicals in Congress.?

Johnson was foremost among the Tennessee Unionists, one of the largest Unionist factions for any of the Confederacy proper. During the Nashville Campaign, he was stopped by men from James Wilson's Cavalry Corps, who confiscated the horses on his carriage to equip the various undersupplied regiments.
He was selected as VP by Lincoln as Lincoln wanted to be voted in on a ticket of reunion (hence why he campaigned under the "National Union" Party rather than as a Republican). I am no expert on Reconstruction, but it seems that Johnson may be the most conflictingly viewed president in the history of this country, with many saying he was a racist hoping to reempower the south and keep the freedmen in line; or that he was merely following the policies Lincoln would have done if he had lived, and was thwarted by an antagonistic radical faction in the party. Again, no expert on this subject, but I find this conflict of portrayals I've seen interesting.

I live very near Greeneville Tennessee and Greeneville heavily favored the Union so there is that. The Greene County History Museum has a fair display of Andrew Johnson memorabilia but I have to confess I haven't made time to go to the Andrew Johnson Museum and Library at Tusculum College yet or the Visitor's Center. It's on my list. There's a ton of history here in Greeneville and also a bit of misinformation. Such as the well known story of the church with the cannonball stick in the wall over the door. The problem with that is the church wasn't finished when that battle took place. I have spoken with folks who have lived here for multiple generations and several were related to a man who climbed a ladder and put it there..

TNGREcannonball_kerin.jpg

Birthday Boy...

University of Montana
ScholarWorks at University of Montana
Graduate Student Theses, Dissertations, & Professional Papers
Graduate School

Reputation and history : Andrew Johnson's historiographical and fall
Mary Ruth Lenihan
The University of Montana

This Thesis is brought to you for free and open access by the Graduate School at ScholarWorks at University of Montana. It has been accepted for inclusion in Graduate Student Theses, Dissertations, & Professional Papers by an authorized administrator of ScholarWorks at University of Montana. For more information, please contact [email protected]. Copyright in the Dissertation held by the Author. Microform Edition © ProQuest LLC. All rights reserved.

Few American political figures have inspired more antipathy than Andrew Johnson. A Democrat and a Southerner, he assumed the presidency upon Lincoln's death and became the leader of a Republican administration. Rebuilding the nation after the bitter and divisive Civil War proved difficult. Johnson's clashes with the Republicans in Congress led to his impeachment, the ultimate political dishonor.

The Civil War era has long been a focus of historical attention in the United States. Andrew Johnson's tenure has been studied more frequently, and has generated more scholarly works, than have the terms of many other presidents. Because the Civil War and Reconstruction were events that inspired exceptionally strong feelings, historians' views of the era have been well defined. Rarely have their conclusions about the epoch, or Andrew Johnson, been ambivalent.

Andrew Johnson's historiographical reputation has been tied inversely to scholars' views of so-called Radical Reconstruction. In the nineteenth century, as long as Radical Reconstruction was viewed favorably, Johnson was an anathema. By the turn of the twentieth century, the nation's racial and political climate led scholars to denounce Radical Reconstruction. Scholars accepted Johnson's policy but blamed him for causing the divisiveness that led to the ascendancy of the Radical plan. Starting in the mid-1920s, when Reconstruction racial and economic policies were viewed with particular disfavor, Johnson emerged the valiant hero who had bravely withstood the evil Radicals. By 1960, as historians changed their view of the Radicals and Radical Reconstruction, Johnson's reputation fell once again.

Andrew Johnson's historical reputation is a microcosm of twentieth century American Civil War and Reconstruction historiography. A look at it traces changes in the profession, the discovery and use of new evidence, and changes in historical fashion. Andrew Johnson is so strongly linked to one of the most controversial periods in our history that his reputation may never be finally put to rest.

Because of copywrite, please use above link

Cheers,
USS ALASKA

Back