Place of Death: Carter County, Tennessee

Time of Death: About 2:00 AM

Cause of Death: Stroke

Burial Place: Andrew Johnson National Cemetery, Greeneville, Tennessee

Last edited by a moderator:

Seduzal

Major
Retired Moderator
Johnson was a some what interesting and at times unsuccessful. The 17th President of the United States.
I wrote a thesis of Johnson for my History Class when I was in college. But that was a long time ago.
Thanks for sharing this awesome article.

OldReliable1862

First Sergeant
I really hope this thread doesn't turn into a hate-fest for Johnson. He was an able politician, but he wasn't as able at statecraft as Lincoln. He loved the South as it had been, and his attempt to restore it inadvertantly allowed the Radicals to get their way.

John S. Carter

Sergeant Major
Johnson was a some what interesting and at times unsuccessful. The 17th President of the United States.
I wrote a thesis of Johnson for my History Class when I was in college. But that was a long time ago.
Thanks for sharing this awesome article.
Could you explain why Lincoln choose Johnson as his VP ? What qualified him as a running mate to Lincoln ?Johnson being a what would be referred later as a Southern Democrat.A man who was total opposite of the politician who would fulfill Lincoln's post war policies.One would say that Lincoln failed in this selection due to failure of inquiry into Johnson's political background and philosophy.Not that these dreams of his own death should have effected his selection but for the future of his policies and the dread of the Radical Rep, who Lincoln knew would attempt to affect his strategy as they had during his administration,Prehabs you may know of a authority or book on this issue

Seduzal

Major
Retired Moderator
Could you explain why Lincoln choose Johnson as his VP ? What qualified him as a running mate to Lincoln ?Johnson being a what would be referred later as a Southern Democrat.A man who was total opposite of the politician who would fulfill Lincoln's post war policies.One would say that Lincoln failed in this selection due to failure of inquiry into Johnson's political background and philosophy.Not that these dreams of his own death should have effected his selection but for the future of his policies and the dread of the Radical Rep, who Lincoln knew would attempt to affect his strategy as they had during his administration,Prehabs you may know of a authority or book on this issue

Thank you for your question on this ...I found a list of my Bibliography.
These are some of the books that I did my research from.

Hans L. Trefousse, Andrew Johnson a Biography. (New York: W.W. Norton & Company, Inc., 1989), Pg 176 & 194.

Eli Fabre, Making America. (Boston: Hought Mifflin Company, 1999), Pg 2.

I hope that this lists help you with your questions.

Respectfully submitted.

Seduzal

byron ed

2nd Lieutenant
Could you explain why Lincoln choose Johnson as his VP ? What qualified him as a running mate to Lincoln ?Johnson being a what would be referred later as a Southern Democrat.A man who was total opposite of the politician who would fulfill Lincoln's post war policies...

Obviously, because he needed a border state / nominally slave-supporting running mate on the slate. I'm sorry that doesn't quite fit the "scheming Lincoln" thing we here so much about, but it should not be a surprise because Lincoln had specifically stated he would not challenge slavery where it existed. What about that is so hard for apologists to understand?

John S. Carter

Sergeant Major
p
Obviously, because he needed a border state / nominally slave-supporting running mate on the slate. I'm sorry that doesn't quite fit the "scheming Lincoln" thing we here so much about, but it should not be a surprise because Lincoln had specifically stated he would not challenge slavery where it existed. What about that is so hard for apologists to understand?
When was the emancipation proclamation .before this or after the election in '64 ?Did not the proclamation free only states which were not under Union control ? This action was more than a ''Challenge''. Please to explain the'' scheming " that you refer to .AL was a brilliant politician but I have never heard of him as scheming.

Last edited:

byron ed

2nd Lieutenant
...When was the emancipation proclamation. before this or after the election in '64 ?Did not the proclamation free only states which were not under Union control ? This action was more than a ''Challenge''. Please to explain the'' scheming " that you refer to .AL was a brilliant politician but I have never heard of him as scheming.

As far as AL being a schemer, it's standard Lost Cause fare. I'm encouraged that you've never come across it.

As for the timing of Johnson's being selected as Lincoln's running mate, good point. btw, just after he was sworn in as VP he addressed the Senate chamber: “I am a-goin’ for to tell you here to-day; yes, I’m a-goin for to tell you all, that I’m a plebian! I glory in it; I am a plebian! The people—yes, the people of the United States have made me what I am; and I am a-goin’ for to tell you here to-day—yes, to-day, in this place—that the people are everything.”

John S. Carter

Sergeant Major
As far as AL being a schemer, it's standard Lost Cause fare. I'm encouraged that you've never come across it.

As for the timing of Johnson's being selected as Lincoln's running mate, good point. btw, just after he was sworn in as VP he addressed the Senate chamber: “I am a-goin’ for to tell you here to-day; yes, I’m a-goin for to tell you all, that I’m a plebian! I glory in it; I am a plebian! The people—yes, the people of the United States have made me what I am; and I am a-goin’ for to tell you here to-day—yes, to-day, in this place—that the people are everything.”
WHAT did he mean by this?Was he under the effects of alcohol induced hallucinations? Did he know what a Roman pleb was/a member of the service to the patricians .-a NUB-A commander.I do not think that the Roman pleb was something to be proud of..Johnson was totally unqualified for this position at this time of critical politics with a nation that was still divided over what to do with the free blacks and with the Southern states as their return to the nation.What policy did he institute which was not overturned by the Radicals in Congress.?