Miniatures Johnny Reb and Billy Yank

rebel brit

1st Lieutenant
Forum Host
These are two Flat figures that I did several years ago.Both made using Super Sculpey Firm which is a clay that you bake to harden.
Both figures measure approx 5" high, 2" wide & 1/4" deep and are painted in Acrylics.

IMG_4626a.jpg
IMG_4628a.jpg

After starting in the hobby making 3D figures I was asked to do a flat figure that could be mounted into a picture frame. Traditionally flat figures are made by engraving slate and pouring tin/alloy to create a one sided metal figure. As I had never engraved before I decided to sculpt the figure using clay directly onto a pane of glass so that the back of the figure would be completely flat. I also had never worked with metal and found it to be an expensive option, so decided to make a rubber mould and cast them in resin.

IMG_4629a.jpg

I've also posted another figure in the Non-Civil War Miniatures section @Booner you might want to take a look :thumbsup:

Kurt G

Sergeant Major
These are two Flat figures that I did several years ago.Both made using Super Sculpey Firm which is a clay that you bake to harden.
Both figures measure approx 5" high, 2" wide & 1/4" deep and are painted in Acrylics.

View attachment 359221View attachment 359223

After starting in the hobby making 3D figures I was asked to do a flat figure that could be mounted into a picture frame. Traditionally flat figures are made by engraving slate and pouring tin/alloy to create a one sided metal figure. As I had never engraved before I decided to sculpt the figure using clay directly onto a pane of glass so that the back of the figure would be completely flat. I also had never worked with metal and found it to be an expensive option, so decided to make a rubber mould and cast them in resin.

View attachment 359225

I've also posted another figure in the Non-Civil War Miniatures section @Booner you might want to take a look :thumbsup:
Those are great . Very nicely done and excellent painting .

ucvrelics

Colonel
Forum Host
Regtl. Quartermaster Shiloh 2020
Asst. Regtl. Quartermaster Antietam 2021
Another Fantastic Job. I'm fortunate enough to have one of his flats that I really enjoy. Plus he made a very nice piece for or Vicksburg muster last year. @rebel brit I know you were working on one for the Shiloh muster we rescheduled, any chance of a little look see?
DSCN2149.JPG

DSCN2146.JPG