Johnny Clem, "The Drummer Boy of Chickamauga"

James N.

Colonel
Annual Winner
Featured Book Reviewer
Asst. Regtl. Quartermaster Antietam 2021
John_Clem_signed_CDV.jpg

One of the better-known but definitely lesser personages produced by the war was the diminutive 12-year-old John Clem (August 13, 1851 – May 13, 1937) who rose in the ranks from drummer boy private/mascot to lance sergeant in the 22nd Michigan Vol. Inf. He became famous following his exploits at the Sept., 1863 Battle of Chickamauga, becoming known generally as The Drummer Boy of Chickamauga, in which battle he allegedly slew a Rebel colonel who called upon him to surrender. (According to his entry in Wikipedia he may have actually "wounded Col. Calvin Walker, whose 3rd Tennessee opposed the 22nd Michigan towards the end of the battle.") As his fame spread, so too did embellishments of his exploits, including spurious claims that he had also fought at Shiloh; sometimes he was also touted as The Drummer Boy of Shiloh or simply Johnny Shiloh, though it's now pretty certain that he was never there.

thTZV2RTZL.jpg

Because of his youth and small size he was also a favorite subject for photographers, especially those specializing in souvenir "collectable" CDV's. Here in two cased images he appears tricked out as a sergeant, complete with the chevrons of the rank, officer's hat cord, plus the NCO's buff leather belt and eagle buckle, supporting a revolver that appears to be too big for him to carry. Clem was captured in Oct., 1863 and was used in Confederate propaganda as an example of how the Union was running out of eligible men and to show "what sore straits the Yankees are driven when they have to send their babies out to fight us."

john-clem-2.jpg

Child_soldier_in_the_US_Civil_War.jpg

Full-length studies of Sergeant Clem, likely made following his exchange; according to Wikipedia, he was the youngest NCO in the history of the U. S. Army!

Sgt._Johnny_Clem_-_Schwing_&_Rudd,_photographers,_Army_of_the_Cumberland._LCCN2012650045.jpg

john-clem-8.jpg

These studio images are likely CDV's; the one at bottom was reproduced on the back cover of the NPS Shiloh Historical handbook in the 1950's.

Johnny-Shiloh.jpg

John_Clem_-_Brady-Handy.jpg

Following the war, Clem remained in service after receiving an appointment from President U. S. Grant to the Regular Army as a second lieutenant, seen here in another Brady-Handy photo from Wikipedia that was taken ca. 1867. For more about the remarkable career of John Lincoln Clem who was retired from the United States Army as a brigadier general in 1915 here is his Wikipedia entry:

John Clem - Wikipedia

Below, Maj. Gen. Ret. John Lincoln Clem in 1922 fifteen years before his death in 1937.
John_Lincoln_Clem.jpg

Last edited:
Great thread and great pics, most I've never seen before. Also I wasn't aware he retired as a Brigadier General.
I'd heard it before, but according to Wikipedia he was actually a colonel in his last staff assignment and was customarily bumped to the next highest grade upon his mandatory retirement at age 65. However, what I don't understand is why he received the additional bump a year later to Maj. Gen., Ret. Somehow it seems too bad he didn't get to serve during WWI though!

Great thread and great pics, most I've never seen before...
Always a great story. Thanks for pictures.
Actually, while looking in one of my computer files I discovered most of these that I'd copied long ago for intended future use in a thread and had forgotten about. The others have been copied from his Wikipedia biography. I too was surprised by the number and variety of them, a good indication of his popularity at the time!

that is the stuff that history is made of!! I'LL bet that GOD took a special interest when he entered in to HEAVEN?! at least I would like to think so?

Back