John Logan and Family

Mike Serpa

Major
00642v.jpg

Hon. John A. Logan and Family - LOC #00642

The main thing about Logan that stands out to me is his funding of the Atlanta Cyclorama during his presidential campaign. After McPherson's death he took command of the Army of the Tennessee and wanted it known that he valiantly rode into battle and inspired the men to victory.
Incredibly for him (wink wink) the artists decided that moment was the part of the battle to commemorate.
pollock-screenshot-v011-trouphurt_300x0.jpg

Logan_Cyclorama_Introduction_300x0.jpg

Attachments

• pollock-screenshot-v011-trouphurt_300x0.jpg
    pollock-screenshot-v011-trouphurt_300x0.jpg
    13.8 KB · Views: 21
  • Logan_Cyclorama_Introduction_300x0.jpg
    Logan_Cyclorama_Introduction_300x0.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 23
Mike,

Before my visit to the Vicksburg National Military Park in 2010, I really didn't know much about this man. After my visit and a bunch of research, he became one of my all-time favorite American Civil War personalities. Nice photo!

Bill

Mike,

Before my visit to the Vicksburg National Military Park in 2010, I really didn't know much about this man. After my visit and a bunch of research, he became one of my all-time favorite American Civil War personalities. Nice photo!

Bill
Thanks, Bill. I should make the time to research a couple soldiers I've become curious about.

Is this the same John Alexander Logan that wrote, "the great conspiracy"?

The name appears the same and the man in the photograph resembles drawings of the author Ihave seen.

Yes.
Logan was the author of two books on the Civil War. In The Great Conspiracy: Its Origin and History (1886), he sought to demonstrate that secession and the Civil War were the result of a long-contemplated "conspiracy" to which various Southern politicians had been party since the Nullification Crisis; he also vindicated the pre-war political positions of Stephen A. Douglasand himself.[3] He also wrote The Volunteer Soldier of America (1887). His son, John Alexander Logan, Jr., was also an army officer and posthumously received the Medal of Honor for actions during the Philippine–American War. Another son, William B. Logan, participated in the Hayden Geological Survey of 1871. wikipedia

It has been said that William Sherman did not give John Logan permanent command of the Army of the Tennessee after McPherson's death, because Logan was a "civilian" warrior and not a West Pointer. Logan bore that grudge against Sherman for the rest of his life. Consequently, Logan as a US senator after the war voted against various measures that Sherman and the military establishment favored.

Back