John Hunt Morgan rides horse through house

Vicksburger

First Sergeant
Can anyone out there come up with documentation or sources backing up the claim by tour-guides at the Hunt -Morgan House in Lexington, Kentucky, that Morgan rode his horse through the front door of the house, out the back, to evade Federals hot on his trail? I believe this fact is told to tourists that visit the house in Lexington. I can't seem to find it in my biography of Morgan ( Ramage's biography of Morgan).

I wonder if it's one of those little stories they tell tourists to spice up the event? Actually, I wouldn't doubt it - Forrest's brother rode through the Gayoso Hotel in Memphis just 'cuz! One time Morgan lost a battle because Black Bess took off with him. He was well known to be a fine horseman so when he suddenly lit out to the rear, his men naturally thought it was a retreat, not a broken bridle.

I've heard of 'just because' instances, boys will be boys and the large manor houses of England .Can't imagine wives of the house tolerated the fun for long.

In this case does it seem likely? I don't know, would have to be a large house situated somewhere , front opens to one road, back another to make sense . Plus if he were being chased is it likely he'd use this? Nothing more trapped ( although not an expert on how much space a mounted horse is likely to take up in a house ) than a man on a horse in the front hallway.

Never tried it myself. Mom disallowed even the aroma of eu de horse inside- used to have to leave all my clothes outside before coming in. She'd be just as implacably opposed to the animal on her best Persian.

If Diane doesn't doubt it though could be something in it. Be cool to find the genesis of the story, may have been written down somewhere by a witness, even a Federal one who was involved. Diaries and journals, letters and reports tend to bring some of these stories to light of day.

When read your post, knew I had read about this before. It was in older book, "John Hunt Morgan and His Raiders" by Edison H. Thomas. I had posted on this book in Book Forum, which I have brought back up. Also had thread on this incident, which thread I have brought back up.

It is a great story. Morgan wanted to see his Mother, as they were very close. He rode to Lexington and as the story goes rode through the front door so the Federals would not see him and then went out the back door. I believe this story. It was so important for him to see his Mother. As it would come to pass, this would be last time his mother would see him alive. So the story has great significance in Morgan's life and his Mother's.

When read your post, knew I had read about this before. It was in older book, "John Hunt Morgan and His Raiders" by Edison H. Thomas. I had posted on this book in Book Forum, which I have brought back up. Also had thread on this incident, which thread I have brought back up.

It is a great story. Morgan wanted to see his Mother, as they were very close. He rode to Lexington and as the story goes rode through the front door so the Federals would not see him and then went out the back door. I believe this story. It was so important for him to see his Mother. As it would come to pass, this would be last time his mother would see him alive. So the story has great significance in Morgan's life and his Mother's.
I want to believe it's true; what a fun story. But as @unionblue stated, both horse and rider would have to be pretty small. (Shetland pony, ub, that's funny!) I can just picture it...:giggle: And thanks, Donna.

Lol! John Hunt Morgan was an even six foot and Black Bess was an American Saddlebred - if he hunkered down flat along her neck he'd clear the casing. Most of those old houses have 12 foot ceilings, so it was clear sailing through the front room after that!

Incidentally, just apropos of horses and stairs - fire stations stabled horses below where the men lived upstairs...and they had spiral staircases so the horses wouldn't come visit them!

Lol! John Hunt Morgan was an even six foot and Black Bess was an American Saddlebred - if he hunkered down flat along her neck he'd clear the casing. Most of those old houses have 12 foot ceilings, so it was clear sailing through the front room after that!
I love it! :laugh:

Can't help but think of Laurel and Hardy... One of the most hysterical scenes in their classic Way Out West was when Dinah the mule was hoisted accidentally onto the second floor landing...and a little later Stan and Ollie came crashing down the stairs with her and out the front door!

wow4.gif

Can't help but think of Laurel and Hardy... One of the most hysterical scenes in their classic Way Out West was when Dinah the mule was hoisted accidentally onto the second floor landing...and a little later Stan and Ollie came crashing down the stairs with her and out the front door!

wow4.gif
Yes, Diane! A much-needed :bounce: in the morning! Thanks!

I want to believe it's true; what a fun story. But as @unionblue stated, both horse and rider would have to be pretty small. (Shetland pony, ub, that's funny!) I can just picture it...:giggle: And thanks, Donna.

Donna's picture shows a substantial double door in front of the house, plus, the arched transom above it indicates seriously high ceilings - the center halls in houses like this are substantial - I think the story is entirely possible! :playfull:

UB is right, it oughta be true!

I was thinkin the same as Unionblue. either Morgan or the horse were small, or them was some very large doors.
I would have thought the same thing, but many years ago a gentleman who had trained horses to work with city police departments told me that one benefit of having mounted officers was that the police could ride the horses straight up the steps into buildings when pursuing someone. I believe it was back in the 1950s and '60s that he was training these horses, so I don't know if that is something that police would consider doing today. Or maybe he was just pulling my leg, although I didn't think so at the time.

Thanks Donna and everyone for the interesting input, I will check out that thread.

Incidentally, just apropos of horses and stairs - fire stations stabled horses below where the men lived upstairs...and they had spiral staircases so the horses wouldn't come visit them!

Diane, I have read stories where the horses would climb the stairs in the firehouses to get to the hay loft if they wanted to have a snack, or either hunker down with the firemen in the bunk-room :giggle:

One time one of our horses, "Lady," managed to paw open the screen door of the cabin in which we were staying, and she walked right in, looking for a handout! She was a bit miffed when we made her back out again! If Lady could do this on her own, certainly Morgan could make his horse do it!

diane,

Ah! Another theory bites the dust!

Thanks for spoiling my imaginative fantasy. :stomp:

Spoil sport.

Disillusioned,
Unionblue

Back