John C. Pemberton and Frank Gardner

gary

Captain
Both were Yankees who took southern brides and threw their lot in with the Confederacy. Both held key posts along the Mississippi; but Pemberton clearly held the more important of the two. Both were defeated but Pemberton was hated by his men and Gardner loved by his. Why?

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)

Georgia Sixth

Sergeant Major
Both were Yankees who took southern brides and threw their lot in with the Confederacy. Both held key posts along the Mississippi; but Pemberton clearly held the more important of the two. Both were defeated but Pemberton was hated by his men and Gardner loved by his. Why?
Hmmm. My only guess would be that (1) Gardner was never defeated in battle (as compared to Pemberton at Champion Hill and Big Black River) so he likely earned the confidence of his men and (2) Gardner held out nearly two weeks longer than Pemberton.

alan polk

Sergeant Major
Because, as you said, Vicksburg was the more visible of the two. Gardner was also Pemberton’s subordinate, Port Hudson being just one of the 5 Military Districts in Pemberton’s Department.

Pemberton also had the misfortune of having to deal with the likes of General Loring who, I suspect, did his best to spread dissension among the ranks against Pemberton during the Campaign.

But most importantly, Pemberton was made the scapegoat by no less a figure than Joe Johnston, who used his position and influence to malign Pemberton after the seige and even after the war -falsely at times, in my opinion- in order to shift the blame of the disaster from himself onto Pemberton.

Lastly, Being a Yankee made Pemberton the perfect scapegoat against such high level Southern opposition.

Last edited: