John Breckinridge Castleman and Saddlebred Horses

donna

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host
John B. Castleman was born on June 30, 1841 at Castleman Farm in Lexington, Ky. This farm bred Thoroughbreds and then went on to breeding Saddle Horses. He left Transylvania College and joined John Hunt Morgan's Men in 1862 It was during his escapades with Morgan that he recognized the Saddlebred horse was capable of outlasting other horses and he saw they could maintain its noble statue under tremendous stress.

Castleman lead mission to free POW's from Camp Douglas and the burning of U.S. supply boats in St. Louis. He was captured and charged with being a spy and sentenced to death. His execution was suspended by President Lincoln and he was finally pardoned in 1866 by President Johnson.

Many of the solders in John Hunt Morgan's units preferred Saddlebred horses. They were influenced by Castleman.He was one of the experts on fine horses.

After the war Castleman settled in Louisville, Ky. He studied law, established an insurance company and revised the Louisville Militia Unit. The unit volunteered for service during the Spanish American War. They invaded Puerto Rico and John B. Castleman was appointed Governor.

He later served two stints as Kentucky Adjutant General and was founder of Louisville's Park Department.

All during this time he was interested and bred Saddle horses. He started the National Saddle Horse Breeder's Association and was elected its president in April, 1899. He was also responsible for beginning a large horse show in Louisville, Ky. in 1900. The tradition of the show continues today with the Kentucky State Fair's World Championships.

In Louisville, a statue of General John B. Castleman and his horse, Carolina stands in the Cherokee Triangle. General Castleman was an imposing figure on his horse. He stood six foot and three inches tall and weighted 200 lbs. His horse Carolina was a real beauty. This statute shows both of them at their best. The statute was built in 1913 and is only one of two equestrian statutes in the State of Kentucky. The other is to honor General John Hunt Morgan on his horse, Black Bess in Lexington, Kentucky..

One of the most famous Saddlebred horses was Gaines' Denmark. He is one of the most influential stallions in the development of the American Saddlebred.

He was foaled in 1851 and was sired by Denmark and out of mare known as Stevenson Mare. He was black with two white hind socks. Upon the start of the Civil War he was put into cavalry troop led by General John Hunt Morgan. He survived the war. He did not accomplish much after the war. Before the war he was a show horse and sired many Saddlebreds. He is generally known as "the real progenitor of the American Saddlebred bred."

See his picture at:

https://www.asbmuseum.org/auction/gaines-Denmark-61-0

Information on General Castleman and Gaines Denmark from:

"Historical Memories of American Saddlebred Visionaries" by Charles L. Cook, Jr.

When you come down for Memorial Day you should take a little timeout and explore the horse farms around Ocala.they are mostly Though reds and Arabians but there are many,many others as Saddledbreds,Standardbreds,Morgans,Walkers and others.the expanse and beauty of these farm amaze most people but someone from Kentucky it would seem the norm except we have those live oak trees everywhere.

I just saw thread on vandals at North Carolina statue. I just found out the statue of General Castleman on his famous horse Caroline, located in Louisville's Kentucky Triangle been vandalized again. Someone poured orange paint over it. Cowards do these acts and should be prosecuted. It is the last equestrian statue left in Ky. Lexington removed the John Hunt Morgan equestrian statue last year. It has not been erected again as of this time. Lexington Cemetery was suppose to take it but no word yet. Both these statues were and are beautiful works of art.

Castleman was a proponent of the Saddlebred horse. Later after the war, he help start the Saddlebred Horse Association.

I read in August that the Louisville mayor was going to have his statue in the Cherokee Triangle removed. He is actually dressed in his riding clothes and on Carolina his famous horse from way after the war.

I can't find any more on the move. Does anyone in area know what is happening? It is a beautiful statue.

My son lives and works in Louisville. He does work for City of Louisville. I asked him about Castleman statue. It is going to be moved. He said to cemetery but wasn't sure which one. General Castleman is buried in Cave Hill Cemetery in Louisville. I am going to see if they going to take statue. Will update when know more.

Back