Research John Bell Hood's staff during the 1864 Tennessee Campaign

19thKY

Cadet
I'm researching a member of Hood's staff who carried the designation "A.A.G." I assume this refers to Assistant Adjutant General. Would this position have been staffed with lower-ranked officers, such as lieutenants and captains? What would the duties have been? Thanks.

Lubliner

Captain
Forum Host
I'm researching a member of Hood's staff who carried the designation "A.A.G." I assume this refers to Assistant Adjutant General. Would this position have been staffed with lower-ranked officers, such as lieutenants and captains? What would the duties have been? Thanks.
Normally so, and their duties would be to write out orders the General in charge gives them, and then pass it to the messenger for the designated unit. These men were sometimes chosen by the General, so Hood may have submitted a choice for his A. A. G.
Lubliner.

The rank could vary quite a lot, especially if more than one AAG were used as one would essentially be the head of them and also could double as Chief of Staff. The List of Confederate Staff Officers gives the following men with a date of late 1864, though the list is (as usual) somewhat unclear and not always reliable:

Ltc./Col. Alexander P. Mason (de facto Chief of Staff, confirmed by ORs)
Cpt. James Cooper (A.A.A.G., confirmed by ORs)
Maj. Benjamin H. Blanton
Lt. McK. A. Hammett