John B. Gordon to Black Voters "We opposed your freedom...because we had bought you" Sept. 1868

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)

kevikens

2nd Lieutenant
I wonder what future readers of what we today write about racial matters will think of us and our attitudes and beliefs on race.

kevikens

2nd Lieutenant
The story reminds me that I have read that there is a considerable movement of Northern African Americans back to the South later in life as they feel more at home there than in the North. Perhaps there is some truth in this and if so, it might be wondered why this might be so.

Pat Young

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host
Featured Book Reviewer
Gordon's speech was widely reprinted, not only in Southern newspapers, but in the North as well in Democratic papers. I will post the headlines on some examples:

Wilmington journal
Friday, Sep 25, 1868
Wilmington, NC
Vol: 24
Page: 5

jbgA.JPG

Pat Young

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host
Featured Book Reviewer
The article in the Charleston Daily News reprints a much longer excerpt from the speech by Gordon. When you read the Daily News, you see that Gordon is not speaking to a black assemblage, but to a mostly white, Democratic crowd with some African Americans in the audience. Presumably much of the laughter recorded in the Daily Phoenix's version was from the whites. The Charleston Daily News implies that blacks in the audience were actually shouting objections to Gordon while he was giving his "sound advice to Negro voters."

Gordon said in the paragraphs leading up to his advice to blacks, that soon white veterans from the North would unite with white veterans from the South to retake control of the country.
jbgC2.JPG

jbgC1.JPG

jbgC2.JPG

Pat Young

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host
Featured Book Reviewer
A vote getting strategy? The war between the races theme again.
Hard to imagine that he thought that this would appeal to blacks. As the coverage in the Charleston Daily News indicates, the speech was not well received by at least some of the African Americans present.

kevikens

2nd Lieutenant
Depends on whether white supremacy is established or not.
I don't know about that. I am not sure what racial supremacy actually is. If it means believing that one race might be innately or genetically superior to or inferior to another I really don't think many people believe that today.