John A. and James A. Williams of Mize, Smith Co., Mississippi

James N.

Lt. Colonel
Forum Host
Civil War Photo Contest
Annual Winner
Featured Book Reviewer
Looking through some family papers I re-discovered this sketchy genealogy compiled 53 years ago by my great uncle Clyde Williams, based on word-of-mouth remembrances by his aunt. I must confess my almost total ignorance about how to proceed to verify any of it. Naturally, I'm mainly interested in the parts pertaining to the reputed Confederate service of John A. Williams and his son James A. Williams. I was luckier in my ancestor Jasper Blair since that's an unusual name, and I can only imagine the scores of James and John Williams's there must have been from Mississippi in the war years!

Image (13) crop.jpg

According to a note I made on the back of this, Sarah Adeline Byrd Williams applied for a Confederate Widow's pension in 1891, unfortunately the year of her death, so I know nothing about how that came out. Any further information would be most welcome!

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!

18thVirginia

Major
Forum Host
The Confederate pensions are by state, so you'd look for one in Mississippi and one in Louisiana. You can request the confederate records from the archive of that state.

James N.

Lt. Colonel
Forum Host
Civil War Photo Contest
Annual Winner
Featured Book Reviewer
The Confederate pensions are by state, so you'd look for one in Mississippi and one in Louisiana. You can request the confederate records from the archive of that state.
Are they available online? I've never looked because I don't know where to look.

Looking through some family papers I re-discovered this sketchy genealogy compiled 53 years ago by my great uncle Clyde Williams, based on word-of-mouth remembrances by his aunt. I must confess my almost total ignorance about how to proceed to verify any of it. Naturally, I'm mainly interested in the parts pertaining to the reputed Confederate service of John A. Williams and his son James A. Williams. I was luckier in my ancestor Jasper Blair since that's an unusual name, and I can only imagine the scores of James and John Williams's there must have been from Mississippi in the war years!

View attachment 141996

According to a note I made on the back of this, Sarah Adeline Byrd Williams applied for a Confederate Widow's pension in 1891, unfortunately the year of her death, so I know nothing about how that came out. Any further information would be most welcome!
http://www.archives.alabama.gov/civilwar/index.cfm

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!