JFK as LBG

I found this list of President's who visited Gettysburg. I find it interesting that William H. Taft is the only president who visited on Nov 19th. Warren G. Harding, FDR and Woodrow Wilson are the only presidents to be there during the anniversary dates.

JFK visited on March 31, 1963 which is why there are no leaves out in the then photo.

With Gettysburg bring do close to DC, I thought more presidents would of visited the battlefield.

According to documents supplied by the Adams County Historical Society, 16 presidents have visited Gettysburg while they were in office -- Lincoln on Nov. 19, 1863; Rutherford B. Hayes on May 30, 1878; Grover Cleveland May 4, 1885; Theodore Roosevelt on May 30, 1904; William H. Taft on Nov. 19, 1909; Woodrow Wilson on July 3, 1913; Warren G. Harding on July 1, 1922; Calvin Coolidge on May 30, 1928; Herbert Hoover on May 30, 1930; Franklin D. Roosevelt on May 30, 1934, and July 3, 1938; Harry S. Truman on July 6, 1946; Dwight D. Eisenhower on Nov. 13, 1955; John F. Kennedy on March 31, 1963; Richard M. Nixon on April 3, 1972; Jimmy Carter on July 6 and Sept. 11, 1978, and George W. Bush on Sept. 6, 2008.

President Nixon's great grandfather was a Union soldier, killed in the battle and interred at Gettysburg National Military Park.

President Carter's great grandfather was a Georgia artillerist, who survived it.
@Drew, yes, here is a picture of Nixon's gggf and a shot I took of his grave in the National Cemetery.
nixon combo.jpg

My father was a photo journalist (God rest his soul) and many of the president's photos published during this era from central Pennsylvania (including some election campaign photos) were of his development. He is truly missed by all of us! BTW: I am not sure if he took the photo at the top of the thread or not.....quite possibly, as many of his photos were distributed by AP (Associated Press).

Little more on George Nixon.

Birth: 1821
Washington County
Pennsylvania, USA
Death: Jul. 10, 1863
Gettysburg
Adams County
Pennsylvania, USA
Expired Image Removed
Civil War Union Army Soldier. He served during the Civil War as a Private in Company B, 73rd Ohio Volunteer Infantry. During the second day of the Battle of Gettysburg (July 2, 1863), he was wounded in the right hip and side during skimishing with the Confederates, and lay in the no-man's land between the Union position on Cemetery Hill and the Rebel's hold on the town. At night his cries of pain were such that it inspired Private Richard Enderlin to crawl out during the constant firing between the two forces, drag Private Nixon back most of the way, then stand up with the wounded man in tow and dash the final distance to safty. This act won Richard Enderlin a instant promotion to Sergeant, and a Medal of Honor 34 years later. Despite his rescue, Private Nixon's wounds proved to be mortal, and he died in the XI Corps Hospital seven days later. His great-grandson, Richard Millhouse Nixon, would become the 37th President of the United States. (bio by: Russ Dodge)

Back