1/2 cup of sour milk
2 cups of flour
1/2 cup of chopped seeded raisins
1 teaspoonful of soda dissolved in warm water
1 teaspoonful of molasses
Yolks of three eggs
1 tablespoonful of cinnamon and nutmeg
teaspoonful of cloves
bake separately in jelly tins and put together with icing; lfavor with lemons it is a delicous cake.

Was searching for recipe for Jelly Roll and found this thread. Another recipe for Jelly Roll is from "The Metropolitan Cook Book" published by Metropolitan Life in early 1920s.

Jelly Roll

2 eggs
7/8 cup of sugar
grated rind of lemon
1 cup flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons milk

Beat eggs, add sugar and beat well. Add lemon rind. Sift flour with baking powder and salt. Add alternately with the milk. Bake 15 to 20 minutes at 360 degrees in greased bread pan. Turn it out on a damp cloth. Spread with jelly and roll. Dredge top with powdered sugar.

My aunt made Jelly Rolls often. She served with tea as a tea time dessert. She used grape jelly mostly.

Swiss Rolls aka Jelly Rolls are very tricky to roll out. The sponge cake has be of just the right texture, not too dry nor overly moist to get just the right roll going. I've tried it a couple of times and failed miserably. Here's short video on making one. Now if only I could get my rolling down right!

My aunt could do it. She was a great cook and liked to do complicated things. She always set a beautiful table.

Some cooks have a knack for complicated cookery. I'm good, but I'm not as good as others. I have a friend who creates those fancy fondant cakes for birthdays. My dad claims I have to be more patient when rolling, he saw me do it once and said rolling too fast is probably what is cracking it.

Swiss Rolls aka Jelly Rolls are very tricky to roll out. The sponge cake has be of just the right texture, not too dry nor overly moist to get just the right roll going. I've tried it a couple of times and failed miserably. Here's short video on making one. Now if only I could get my rolling down right!

Funny,my aunt could make a great jelly roll.it was the only thing she could bake.she would always use raspberry filling for hers.

I agree, some manage quite easily with cooking and baking, while others struggle, even using simple recipes. Unfortunately for my mom cooking/baking doesn't come naturally. My dad is amazing at both, he learned from both his grandmothers and mother and his Home Economics teacher (he was the only boy in the class as it was back in the 1950's). He loved cooking that much he was willing to endure the teasing. I learned somewhat from my grandmother and my dad, but just seemed to pick everything up quite naturally with very little guidance. My mom thinks it must be an inherited trait that she missed out on.

Back