Jehu & Joseph Norman the brother who fought against brother

Creighton1930

Private
Hello Everyone, my name is Creighton, I am history buff, and I am fascinated with the Civil War. I live in Michigan, but my family is originally from Tennessee and Texas. Well, I have always loved trying to find out as much as I could about my genealogy, and I am particularly interested in my great, great, great uncles Jehu and Joseph Norman, two siblings, one, Jehu, fought for the confederates, the other, Joseph fighting for the Union. I am looking for more information on them, as both died in the civil war. Jehu enlisted in the the 3rd regiment, (lilard's) Tennessee mounted infantry, company G. I was told my 3x great uncle Jehu died in Gunstown Mississippi. What I want too know is when he died, any information on his commanding officers, captains and the history of the regiment. now, as for Joseph Norman, I am not sure exactly what unit he served in, except, like his brother Jehu, he died at a military hospital in St Louis Missouri. They both were from Tennessee, jehu was born in 1831, and joseph was born in 1825. Born to William Norman and Millie Payne Norman. My great great great grandpa was not allowed to volunteer for the civil war by his family because he had too work the farm. I am hoping that someone can help me find some information Jehu and Joseph Norman.

Hello Everyone, my name is Creighton, I am history buff, and I am fascinated with the Civil War. I live in Michigan, but my family is originally from Tennessee and Texas. Well, I have always loved trying to find out as much as I could about my genealogy, and I am particularly interested in my great, great, great uncles Jehu and Joseph Norman, two siblings, one, Jehu, fought for the confederates, the other, Joseph fighting for the Union. I am looking for more information on them, as both died in the civil war. Jehu enlisted in the the 3rd regiment, (lilard's) Tennessee mounted infantry, company G. I was told my 3x great uncle Jehu died in Gunstown Mississippi. What I want too know is when he died, any information on his commanding officers, captains and the history of the regiment. now, as for Joseph Norman, I am not sure exactly what unit he served in, except, like his brother Jehu, he died at a military hospital in St Louis Missouri. They both were from Tennessee, jehu was born in 1831, and joseph was born in 1825. Born to William Norman and Millie Payne Norman. My great great great grandpa was not allowed to volunteer for the civil war by his family because he had too work the farm. I am hoping that someone can help me find some information Jehu and Joseph Norman.

Welcome. Joseph enlisted as a Corporal in Company C 13th Tn Cavalry (Bradford's West Tennessee Battalion) he joined on 12/15/1863. They were part of the Union garrison at Fort Pillow.

Bradford's Cavalry Battalion
TENNESSEE
(3-YEARS)
Bradford's Cavalry Battalion. -- Maj., William F. Bradford.

This battalion was raised by Maj. Bradford in Dec., 1863, and
Jan., 1864. It consisted of four companies organized at Union
City, Tenn., and was at first incorrectly designated the 13th
cavalry.

It remained at Union City until Feb. 3, 1864, when it was
ordered to Fort Pillow, where it arrived on the 8th.
Recruiting at that point did not progress very rapidly and it
was not until April 1 that the fifth company was ready for
muster into the U. S. service.

Before this was done, however, the fort was captured, and it
together with the other four companies was nearly annihilated.
With the capture of Fort Pillow the history of this battalion
terminates.

Hardly a nucleus of the command remained after the massacre.
Only 3 commissioned officers were left and 2 of them died soon
afterward. A little detachment of men, who at the time of the
fight were absent from the several companies on duty, were on
Aug. 18, 1864, consolidated in one company designated as Co.
A, 14th Tenn. cavalry. This company on Feb. 14, 1865, was
consolidated with the 6th Tenn. cavalry, and was known as Co.
E.

Source: The Union Army, vol. 4, p. 388

Welcome. Joseph enlisted as a Corporal in Company C 13th Tn Cavalry (Bradford's West Tennessee Battalion) he joined on 12/15/1863. They were part of the Union garrison at Fort Pillow.

Bradford's Cavalry Battalion
TENNESSEE
(3-YEARS)
Bradford's Cavalry Battalion. -- Maj., William F. Bradford.

This battalion was raised by Maj. Bradford in Dec., 1863, and
Jan., 1864. It consisted of four companies organized at Union
City, Tenn., and was at first incorrectly designated the 13th
cavalry.

It remained at Union City until Feb. 3, 1864, when it was
ordered to Fort Pillow, where it arrived on the 8th.
Recruiting at that point did not progress very rapidly and it
was not until April 1 that the fifth company was ready for
muster into the U. S. service.

Before this was done, however, the fort was captured, and it
together with the other four companies was nearly annihilated.
With the capture of Fort Pillow the history of this battalion
terminates.

Hardly a nucleus of the command remained after the massacre.
Only 3 commissioned officers were left and 2 of them died soon
afterward. A little detachment of men, who at the time of the
fight were absent from the several companies on duty, were on
Aug. 18, 1864, consolidated in one company designated as Co.
A, 14th Tenn. cavalry. This company on Feb. 14, 1865, was
consolidated with the 6th Tenn. cavalry, and was known as Co.
E.

Source: The Union Army, vol. 4, p. 388

so is it possible my great great great uncle was killed at fort pillow by Nathan Forrests calvary?

Confederate Jehu enlisted into Company G 3rd Tn on 5/15/1861.

Vaughn's 3rd Tn was a East Tennessee unit. Bradford's 13th Battallion (Union) was from West Tennessee. I bet that's an interesting story in itself, how they ended up on opposite ends of the State.

Details on this Find a Grave page match up with @east tennessee roots post on Joseph Norman.
https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/51141356/joseph-norman
Died at Andersonville Prison.

There's a Joseph Norman who was wounded at Shiloh in the 9th KY Infantry (Union) and died in a St. Louis Missouri hospital
KY Joseph.png

I've found a few family trees on Ancestry with Joseph and Jehu (who might actually be John) and details the people have put on the tree match up with your story but the trees don't have any source material or the sources they have listed are inaccurate (i.e person died in 1862 but has a pension listed as a source that was applied for in 1887 by the dead person)

Last edited:
sources they have listed are inaccurate (i.e person died in 1862 but has a pension listed as a source that was applied for in 1887 by the dead person)

Pension application can be flukey though? I have one like this, where it looks like a grgrgrandfather was applying himself but we know he was dead. Maybe some relative applying became confused the same way? It's the only explanation we could come up with.

my great great great grandpa was not allowed to volunteer or fight or in the war because he had too tend to the farm, and his family didnt want him too go off and die in battle, and there be no one to keep the family name going. John H norman was my great great great grandpa.
Pension application can be flukey though? I have one like this, where it looks like a grgrgrandfather was applying himself but we know he was dead. Maybe some relative applying became confused the same way? It's the only explanation we could come up with.

the joseph norman that fought for the 9th KY infantry, is possibly him, because I remember his unit was KY infantry. it was his brother jehu who fought in Calvary and he was an infantry soldier.

Details on this Find a Grave page match up with @east tennessee roots post on Joseph Norman.
https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/51141356/joseph-norman
Died at Andersonville Prison.

There's a Joseph Norman who was wounded at Shiloh in the 9th KY Infantry (Union) and died in a St. Louis Missouri hospital
View attachment 317856

I've found a few family trees on Ancestry with Joseph and Jehu (who might actually be John) and details the people have put on the tree match up with your story but the trees don't have any source material or the sources they have listed are inaccurate (i.e person died in 1862 but has a pension listed as a source that was applied for in 1887 by the dead person)

Vaughn's 3rd Tn was a East Tennessee unit. Bradford's 13th Battallion (Union) was from West Tennessee. I bet that's an interesting story in itself, how they ended up on opposite ends of the State.
Interesting that the one from West TN was Union and East TN was Confederate. In those locations you would think the odds would be the other way around.

Back