Forrest Jeffrey Forrest died near Troy, MS?

Nathanb1

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Silver Patron
Retired Moderator
Sometimes it pays to go back and read these old threads....

From Larry Cockerham on Forrest...

Another note on Jeffrey Forrest

More from Gerald Fowler:

"Larry, the best I remember Jefferey Forrest did not die in Okolona, Ms. In the battle the confederate was over numbered by union soldiers, and Nathan Bedford Forrest knew he had to put the odds on his side. He took his men due south past West Point, Ms.; and crossed a bridge. As the Union Army came to this point, he allowed enough to cross the bridge and he attacked furious. They drove the union soldiers fast, they stop many times, and fought, trying to stop the fast advancing confederate army. They ran past Okolona, and the last big battle was little south of Troy, Ms. Many on both side lost many lives there, it was on my g-g-g-uncles land where Jeffery Forrest ran up the big hill on a horse, charging in front of his men. He lost his life there, the news was carried back to Nathan, he ran to the front and wept of his baby brothers death. This place is where Hwy.41 & New Natchez Trace meets today. It's 2 places of un-named Union Graves with tombstones on both places of the Natchez Trace. This is where Jeffery died. Gerald Barnell Fowler"

So...since I've been to Okolona, I'm curious...anyone remember this? Been there? Got pics?

It wasn't in Okalona or in Troy. Jeffrey was killed when he charged the yankee line at Ivey's Hill plantation which was near Tallaboncla. The key words in that above interview is "The best I remember" Troy is within a few miles but was not the exact spot where Jeffrey fell.

It wasn't in Okalona or in Troy. Jeffrey was killed when he charged the yankee line at Ivey's Hill plantation which was near Tallaboncla. The key words in that above interview is "The best I remember" Troy is within a few miles but was not the exact spot where Jeffrey fell.

That's been my understanding. The Federals had thrown up a blockade on the road there and Jeffrey was killed during the engagement that followed. He was carried to a shady tree and was expiring there when his older brother arrived. His men had faltered after seeing their commander hit bad - and this was one of the reasons Forrest called for a charge. It was definitely emotionally fueled - nuts, in fact - but it did stabilize the leaderless troops. Jeffrey Forrest had a remarkable amount of personal charisma himself and was also a leader by disposition. Some historians have considered him to have had even more talent for war than his famed brother. I think people tend to forget Forrest's penchant for running battles - Okolona spread out for six, eight miles! I'm told the tree Jeffrey Forrest died under is still standing.

The exact location of Colonel Forrest's death is not ID in the Official Records and I have a couple of excerpts dealing with the engament where he was killed.
Regards
David
Below is an excerpt from GEO. E. WARING, JR.'s Official Report (262) ,Colonel of thr Fourth Missouri Cavalry

"...These regiments then followed, and a new position in the rear of the whole command was selected on a farm called Ivey's Hill, near Tallaboncla. Before the Seventh Indiana and Fourth Missouri Cavalry, with its battery, could be fairly placed in position the other brigades were seen to be retiring, and the immense train of packmules and mounted contrabands, which had been corralled in a field near the road, swarmed up with such force as to carry past the line the Second New Jersey and the Second Illinois Cavalry, which were then marching to this position. Several regiments in the other brigades were brought to a stand at this place, and the chief of cavalry in person assumed command of the field. The enemy followed our retiring forces very closely, and soon attacked us with heavy musketry fire, which was replied to with good effect by the battery of the Fourth Missouri Cavalry, one shell from which is reported to have killed Colonel Forrest, , the brother of General Forrest, who in person was commanding the enemy's column."
GEO. E. WARING, JR.,
Colonel Fourth Missouri Cavalry, Commanding.*

Below is an excerpt from General Forrest's Official Report (page 353)
"About 5 miles from Okolona they formed and awaited us, making a determined stand, McCulloch's and Forrest's brigades both arriving with Hoole*s battery. After a short but obstinate resistance the enemy gave way. In this engagement Colonel Forrest was killed while rallying and leading his men."*

*CHAPTER XLIV. OPERATIONS IN KENTUCKY, SOUTHWEST VIRGINIA, TENNESSEE, MISSISSIPPI, ALABAMA, AND NORTH GEORGIA. January 1-April 30, 1864.

The state of Mississippi has erected this marker about 5 miles NW of Okoloana along Hwy 41. The only remnant of Prairie Mount is the United Methodist Church which is about 2 miles from the junction of Hwy 41 and the Natchez Trace and the town of Troy is close to 5 miles distant. Sure hope this is helpful.
Regards
David

1570987695143.png

The state of Mississippi has erected this marker about 5 miles NW of Okoloana along Hwy 41. The only remnant of Prairie Mount is the United Methodist Church which is about 2 miles from the junction of Hwy 41 and the Natchez Trace and the town of Troy is close to 5 miles distant. Sure hope this is helpful.
Yes, I have been there. But I can't find Tallaboncla. I assume that is a town that no longer exists??

Below is a map that show Tallaboncla
1570998020666.png

Looks like it was about where Troy is today. Hwy 41 is a rural 2 lane winding road that connects Pontotoc to Okolona. It crosses the Natchez Trace about 2/3 of the way from Pontotoc about 16 miles which is roughly 2 miles past Troy. Prairie Mount Church is about another 2 miles south of the Trace intersection.
Hope this helps some.
Regards
David

Not detracting from the death of Jeffery Forrest, but understanding previous spellings and misspellings of extinct towns, villages, settlements, ect. are vital to anyone researching specific locations in history.

The same applies to reviewing old maps from the colonial era.
The Native Americans, French, Spanish, English and Anglo-American colonists all had different spellings/words for the same place.

Moreover, one should also consider the fact that county lines (borders) changed quite often back then.

Again, not trying to detract from Jeffery Forrest's death.

I'm only thinking about what I've learned over the years.

Last edited:
Not detracting from the death of Jeffery Forrest, but understanding previous spellings and misspellings of extinct towns, villages, settlements, ect. are vital to anyone researching specific locations in history.
I happened to pull "First with the Most" off the shelf and just happened to turn to a map that includes Western Tennessee and Northern Mississippi found in Chapter XV. There is a TALLABONCLA (Ivey's Farm) positioned very close to Pontotoc.

Back