Jefferson, Madison, and Washington on the Militia and Insurrection Acts

Hello,

I'm wondering if anyone can point me in the direction of letters or speeches in which Jefferson, Madison, or Washington discussed the Militia and Insurrection Acts in a way which sheds light on how they may have viewed Lincoln's call to arms. Does anything that they wrote about the subjects suggest that they would not have seen Lincoln as using those laws as the did?

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)
Washington, 70 odd years before Lincoln, called the militia into Federal service during the Whiskey Rebellion.
If he'd do for a tax protest turned violent, he'd do it for a wave of seizures of federal property and firing on federal troops.

Upon further review, Washington considered using federal troops to stop a filibustering invasion, supported by the governor of Kentucky, from attacking Spanish territories. (link) Madison moved to limit the Militia Act to prevent the president from carrying on more than a month after Congress returned to session, but didn't seem to have a problem with letting the president send in troops over the objection of state authorities (link).

Last edited:

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)