Restricted Jefferson Davis Name Removed From Fort Monroe Arch

byron ed

2nd Lieutenant
...The way the United Daughters of the Confederacy have been treated in the last few years is disgraceful...These monuments...were placed to honor men who deserved the honor...

And yet the UDC did not put up the words "To honor men who deserved the honor" on this arch, did they? They could have, but instead they chose to honor the President of the Confederacy decades after its demise. That's a poor second in motivation, and it's plainly Lost cause in spirit.

Anyway the arch still stands, so nothing to get too excited over.

Tin cup

Captain
As you know the United States was formed in Rebellion. This is the nature of our formation so historically it was justified. We are in fact the “United States”. If we choose to be ununited that is each states choice.
You need to read the US Constitution.

Kevin Dally

Tin cup

Captain
The way the United Daughters of the Confederacy have been treated in the last few years is disgraceful. This will have a boomerang effect eventually. Hatred always does. These monuments were not built for hatred, they were placed to honor men who deserved the honor.

Thank you for posting the sad news.
Seems folk disagree, they believe they were put up for spite, and "in your face" usage. That is why they are coming down.
Need to find better tactics to prevent it, current ones don't seem to work, do they?

Kevin Dally

AshleyMel

2nd Lieutenant
I do not have anything to add about the situation with this arch and while I can not speak for the UDC, any public statement is usually subject to misinterpretation in the press and I certainly can understand if comments from the Chapters involved are limited and few and far between.
Thank you to those of you that are supportive and kind to us.

risha

Private
I think we can all agree that we love and appreciate history. Isn't that why we've all joined CWT because we want to communicate with other history buffs on this subject? So the importance of monuments, battlefields, flags, pictures, etc is something we treasure and realize they tell the stories of our past, good and bad.

I feel the real danger in erasing the embarrassing truths will come from the history deprived, soon to be voting adults. They're not taught how it really was and why. There's no fire in them. Schools are not really educating in any depth about history.

If we leave these controversial objects so they can be seen along with explanations and schools and universities actually teach a more comprehensive curriculum and peak their interest maybe history won't repeat itself.