Brigadier General
* OFFICIAL *
CWT PRESENTER
Forum Host
Silver Patron
Regtl. Staff Chickamauga 2018

7thWisconsin

Sergeant Major
I don't quite know how I feel about this one. Davis' imprisonment was unjust and borderline cruel, and should be remembered. On the other hand, I'm not sure that that was what the memorial arch was commemorating, especially at that late date. Was it the prisoner, or the member of the Lost Cause trinity that was being memorialized?

ucvrelics

Colonel
Forum Host
Regtl. Quartermaster Shiloh 2020
Asst. Regtl. Quartermaster Antietam 2021
Don't look at the reason it went up, look at the reason it came down.

At the end of August, Fort Monroe will host commemoration events to mark the 400th anniversary of the arrival of the first Africans to English North America.

Yankee Brooke

First Sergeant
Forum Host
I'm not sure that this was actually commemorating anything other than CSA President Jefferson Davis. And it's date of erection is curious.... perhaps it wasn't REALLY commemorating anything.

Still, perhaps it wasn't entirely justified in being removed. Either way, I suspect we will all live.

MattL

What I find amazing is that the arch is not a historical relic from the 19th century, or even the early 20th century, when so many memorials were built.
Instead, it dates from 1956!

Yeah, that's definitely late compared to many as you mention.

At what point is something considered historic or just old. At what point does history change from an understanding of the things that happened to protecting some names on some piece of stone or metal. Who gets to decide a name of some man is sacred and unchangeable and at what point is that person destroying history themselves.

uaskme

2nd Lieutenant
Don't look at the reason it went up, look at the reason it came down.

At the end of August, Fort Monroe will host commemoration events to mark the 400th anniversary of the arrival of the first Africans to English North America.

So, they are going to replace an Arch, with a replica Yankee Slave Ship! Unreal!

MRB1863

Major
Forum Host
Does this mean that in order to keep a select group happy (and future generations ignorant of facts and heritage) we should all begin to tear pages from our history books? What is the negativity against? Confederacy? Knights of the Golden Circle? History? Personal vendetta? Group politics? I'm not understanding the thought process behind this entire campaign.

Yankee Brooke

First Sergeant
Forum Host
All I see here is, they named a park "Jefferson Davis Memorial Park" back in 1956. This year the municipality it resides in decided that no longer fit so well, and they would rename the park.

I'm wagering most of you deriding this would throw a stink if your municipality decided to rename a park, and people from outside your town decided to try and tell you that you can't, just because the derive some historical value from the current name....

WJC

Major General
Judge Adv. Genl.
Thread Medic
Answered the Call for Reinforcements
Does this mean that in order to keep a select group happy (and future generations ignorant of facts and heritage) we should all begin to tear pages from our history books? What is the negativity against? Confederacy? Knights of the Golden Circle? History? Personal vendetta? Group politics? I'm not understanding the thought process behind this entire campaign.
Removing Davis' name from a rather unattractive arch or park is not changing history. Davis' stay at Fort Monroe will still be a key part of its history and attraction to tourists.

W. Richardson

Captain
I'm not sure that this was actually commemorating anything other than CSA President Jefferson Davis. And it's date of erection is curious.... perhaps it wasn't REALLY commemorating anything.

Still, perhaps it wasn't entirely justified in being removed. Either way, I suspect we will all live.

Well of course we will all live. I do love how you merely shrug your shoulders at the loss of history around us, regardless if it is history you agree with or not, it is still a part of this nation's history. It is the "fence" sitters that have helped support this attack on history, but my view comes only as a lover of history, all history, the good, the bad, and the ugly.

I am glad that I do not feel...........Ahhh the world had legal slavery at one time........Shrug the shoulders..........I suspect we will all live.

Is it ok if I use your statement "I suspect we will all live" in my future responses?

Respectfully,
William

One Nation,
Two countries
Confed-American Flag - Thumbnail.jpg

W. Richardson

Captain

I already have tore pages from my history books................Slavery, what slavery? I know not of what they speak of.

Isn't removing bit and pieces of physical history that one does not like, cherry picking history? I seem to hear quite often from some here about "Cherry picking" sources or parts of statements, yet most of those who complain of that seem to be rather silent on this "Cherry picking" of history.

Any TRUE historian or TRUE history buff would be appalled at what is going on in our nation with it's history, all to appease a few. Oh well, as @Yankee Brooke would say "Shrug the shoulders" I suspect we all will live."

Respectfully,
William

One Nation,
Two countries
Confed-American Flag - Thumbnail.jpg

Yankee Brooke

First Sergeant
Forum Host
Well of course we will all live. I do love how you merely shrug your shoulders at the loss of history around us, regardless if it is history you agree with or not, it is still a part of this nation's history. It is the "fence" sitters that have helped support this attack on history, but my view comes only as a lover of history, all history, the good, the bad, and the ugly.

I am glad that I do not feel...........Ahhh the world had legal slavery at one time........Shrug the shoulders..........I suspect we will all live.

Is it ok if I use your statement "I suspect we will all live" in my future responses?

Respectfully,
William

One Nation,
Two countries
View attachment 323703

With all do respect, they aren't erasing anything. They removed Jefferson Davis' name from the arch above a park entrance. What happened there still happened there, and I don't see anyone saying otherwise. I suspect it will remain a key attraction to tourists for that reason.

I have no copyright to that phrase, so you do you my dude.

Removing Davis' name from a rather unattractive arch or park is not changing history. Davis' stay at Fort Monroe will still be a key part of its history and attraction to tourists.

This exactly.