Jefferson Davis mulatto children

TnFed

First Sergeant
Hi @Cavalry Charger and @AshleyMel
You might enjoy this thread. I stand by Davis being a Good husband based on my having to hear uncountable hours listening to testimony from men convicted of California Penal code section 273.5 defining domestic violence. Yes Davis was a good husband but maybe not perfect. Then again not everyone is a Saint.
Leftyhunter
So true Lefty, there are very few saints amongst us.

leftyhunter

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
jeffdavisslavequarters.png

Slave quarters on Jefferson Davis’ plantation, Library of Congress.

There were a number of rumors circulated widely during the war alleging that Davis fathered mixed-race children. Most of them are sort of free-floating, tabloid-y allegations that can't be linked to anything solid. Like the story about Davis being captured wearing a dress, they are the sort of story that would be told and believed about him, regardless of the truth.

There was one story, however, about a son, some facts of which can be corroborated in independent sources not easily available in the 19th century. The young man that was said to be Davis' son definitely existed, and was identified as Davis' offspring by his own mother. That doesn't prove he was Davis' son, but there's more to that one than just vague, idle gossip.
Was that young man the same young man who enlisted in the Union Navy during the ACW who stated he was a son of Davis?
I seem to recall a former slave that stated she gave birth to five of Davis's children.
Leftyhunter

Last edited:

AndyHall

Colonel
Was that young man the same young man who enlisted in the Union Navy during the ACW who stated he was a son of Davis?
I seem to recall a former slave that stated she gave birth to five if Davis's children.
Leftyhunter
Yes, I think that's the same story. The reporter who interviewed the woman wrote down her son's name as "Purser Davis," but the young man aboard Carondelet's name was Percy Davis, a mixed-race recruit born in Warren County, Mississippi — the county of Vicksburg, and where both Jefferson Davis and Joseph E. Davis were major slaveholders, with 113 and 365 slaves respectively at the time of the 1860 U.S. Census. Too close to be dismissed as mere coincidence.

Last edited:

Mkeylo2001

Cadet
It's true, my great great great grandfather was named Thomas Davis and he was mixed race. He later had a son named Jesse Davis and he had a son named Jefferson or Jeff Davis, my great grandfather.