Jefferson Davis Monument State Historic Site

Buckeye Bill

Captain
Forum Host
Annual Winner
* The Jefferson Davis State Historic Site is a memorial to the Kentuckian born on this site in Fairview on June 3, 1808. The monument is a 351-foot obelisk constructed on a foundation of solid Kentucky limestone. An elevator takes visitors to the top for a bird's eye view of the countryside. A museum on the grounds provides visitors with a bit of insight into this leader's fascinating life. Davis may be best known for his service as President of the Confederacy during the American Civil War but the popular West Point graduate also had a distinguished military career before serving as a congressman and senator.

* The Jefferson Davis State Historic Site Website

jefferson-davis-3d-model-obj-fbx-stl.jpg

DSC_0001 (2).JPG

DSC_0002 (2).JPG

DSC_0006 (2).JPG

DSC_0034 (3).JPG

DSC_0029 (2).JPG

DSC_0014 (2).JPG

DSC_0019 (2).JPG

DSC_0022 (2).JPG

DSC_0027 (2).JPG

Thanks for posting this site. We been there several times. Have they been given the statue of Jefferson Davis that was taken down in the Capitol in Frankfort? There was talk it would be moved there. Also have they fixed the elevator so you can ride to top? I try to check on these issues but couldn't find answers.

Thanks for posting this site. We been there several times. Have they been given the statue of Jefferson Davis that was taken down in the Capitol in Frankfort? There was talk it would be moved there. Also have they fixed the elevator so you can ride to top? I try to check on these issues but couldn't find answers.

The statue in the birthplace museum was moved to the museum in Paducah. There is still no decision on the statue from the state capitol building. And the elevator will be fixed by next spring.

Bill

Great pics and yet another one added to my 'to do list'. Many thanks Bill, I didn't realise it was so close to Franklin.

Thanks!

There are so many ACW battlefields and sites in Tennessee and Kentucky. Tennessee receives the notoriety but Kentucky is a gold mine for the buff.

Cheers,
Bill

I've made it to several Southern States but have somehow missed out on Kentucky. This thread adds to the "want to". Let's just hope there are still some monuments to see in the near future.

Here is a list of American Civil War battlefields in the state of Kentucky...

* Barbourville
* Camp Wildcat Mountain
* Columbus-Belmont, Missouri
* Cumberland Gap
* Cynthiana
* Ivy Mountain
* Middle Creek
* Mill Springs
* Morgan's Raids
* Munfordville
* Perryville
* Richmond
* Sacramento
* Tebbs Bend

Last edited:
Bill why did they remove the statue from his birthplace? I thought it was appropriate there. Are they still selling many things? i know when we were there they had a lot of books for sale.

From the park curator, Donna :

20200713_105143.jpg

Just glad it safe. Maybe owner wants privacy. Today you must be careful if own any Confederate things. No need to tell people they might try to destroy them if they knew where to go.

My husband had his Morgan's Men Association license and sticker on our Jeep. We had just bought the Jeep and decided with the climate today better to take them off. A friend of ours who has a couple Confederate stickers on his truck has been shot at several times. It is lucky he wasn't killed. Several friends who belong to UDC and SCV have received threats that they going to burn their house or kill them. One person's cat was killed. He believes it was because he belongs to SCV. He was threatened several times.

These are very troubling times. One must be careful.

Back