Davis Jefferson Davis born this day in 1808

cash is very wise indeed, but I believe that particular chestnut belongs to James McPherson.:smile:
Haha...I guess the 'blame' doesn't go to @cash after all, and @leftyhunter and I owe him an apology! I'll have to check Lefty's sources in future :wink: Surprised James McPherson was as blunt as that, but I guess he has his reasons. As I've said in previous posts on this thread, I know little of Jefferson Davis and have much to learn. I could say the same of @cash I'm sure...

Haha...I guess the 'blame' doesn't go to @cash after all, and @leftyhunter and I owe him an apology! I'll have to check Lefty's sources in future :wink: Surprised James McPherson was as blunt as that, but I guess he has his reasons. As I've said in previous posts on this thread, I know little of Jefferson Davis and have much to learn. I could say the same of @cash I'm sure...

I am almost positive I heard him say it in an interview about his book on Davis, Embattled Rebel, and repeated here on CWT. I haven't read it, but I hear its pretty good.

http://www.historynet.com/book-reviews-embattled-rebel-jefferson-davis-as-commander-in-chief.htm

I got it from @cash. Maybe McPherson got it from someone else. Some sayings have no authors they have just been around for a long time. Maybe Cash figured it out on his own? None the less the saying makes a lot of sense.
Leftyhunter

I am almost positive I heard him say it in an interview about his book on Davis, Embattled Rebel, and repeated here on CWT. I haven't read it, but I hear its pretty good.

http://www.historynet.com/book-reviews-embattled-rebel-jefferson-davis-as-commander-in-chief.htm

I have that James McPherson book. I started it a little while ago and then got distracted with something else and set it back in the bookcase. What I had read was pretty good, I thought. In the introduction, McPherson admitted he was biased when he started but over time began to see Jefferson Davis a little differently. I appreciate his honesty there. I haven't read anything else of Mr. McPherson's and that is the only book on Jefferson Davis I own.

Happy birthday, President Davis! Salute!

I've read three Davis biographies, including "Embattled Rebel" and "Jefferson Davis: The Man and his Hour". I've come away largely impressed by just how much public and military service the man performed. He had a near-impossible job as President of the Confederate States, but none other than Robert E. Lee said he knew of no one who could have done better, and many who would have done far worse.

I have that James McPherson book. I started it a little while ago and then got distracted with something else and set it back in the bookcase. What I had read was pretty good, I thought. In the introduction, McPherson admitted he was biased when he started but over time began to see Jefferson Davis a little differently. I appreciate his honesty there. I haven't read anything else of Mr. McPherson's and that is the only book on Jefferson Davis I own.
I just bought a big batch of Civil War books so that one will have to wait. The Cooper book is very good and go's back to Davis's youth. While Davis is by no means an admirable figure in my humble opinion ; Davis however is a highly complex intelligent man who speaking personally as a father endured tremendous tragedy. Davis was also a good husband. If memory serves me right of Davis' five children only one bore him grandchildren and no grandsons. Having all his sons die before he did and not loose ones mind is trully remarkable if tragic.
Leftyhunter

Nothing fills me with deeper sadness than to see a Southern man apologizing for the defense we made of our inheritance.– Jefferson Davis

Generals in Blue and Gray: Davis’s Generals, Volume 2, by Wilmer Jones, pg. 34

This Union is dear to me as a union of fraternal States. It would lose its value if I had to regard it as a union held together by physical force.” - Jefferson Davis

Great Debates in American History: State rights (1798-1861); slavery (1858-1861) By Marion Mills Miller, United States. Congress, Great Britain. Parliament. Pg. 329

To term this action of a sovereign a rebellion is gross abuse of language.” -Jefferson Davis

The Rise and Fall of the Confederate Government, Volume 1 By Jefferson Davis

"Thus the sovereign States here represented proceeded to form this Confederacy, and it is by abuse of language that their act has been denominated a revolution"- Jefferson Davis

February, 1861 Inaugural Speech
https://jeffersondavis.rice.edu/Content.aspx?id=88

An agricultural people, whose chief interest is the export of a commodity required in every manufacturing country, our true policy is peace, and the freest trade which our necessities will permit. " - Jefferson Davis

February, 1861 Inaugural Speech
https://jeffersondavis.rice.edu/Content.aspx?id=88

Happy Birthday Mr. President.
1559602697140.png

Back