JEB Stuart And The Battle Of Gettysburg - Was He Responsible For Lee's Defeat

Read post #80. I don't understand your word 'evicence'. I find no definition for it.

To paraphrase a notable southerner it takes a damned fool to only be able to spell a word one way. Care to contribute to the conversation with something of substance? You have provided no evidence of your own, only mocked a man who admits he spells creativly... from a man w/ a fictitious medal as his avatar and a dubious understanding of history I'll take that with a grain of salt.

I bid you a good day.

Either chill today, folks, or I start issuing warning points. You've had your little spat. Get over it and get on with life. Might take a look around consider if you want the "B" word attached to your name. I assure you it does happen.

Posted in Capacity as Moderator

To paraphrase a notable southerner it takes a ****ed fool to only be able to spell a word one way. Care to contribute to the conversation with something of substance? You have provided no evidence of your own, only mocked a man who admits he spells creativly... from a man w/ a fictitious medal as his avatar and a dubious understanding of history I'll take that with a grain of salt.

I bid you a good day.

As old as I am, everyday I am Blessed to be able to read CivilWarTalk threads!

Yup. If Stuart had obeyed Lee's orders and not had been gone earning brownie points, Lee would have won Gettysburg. It's all Stuart's fault.

Read post #80. I don't understand your word 'evicence'. I find no definition for it.

Post #80-----

"The second day battle decimated the Union Army with the loss of 1 division.
All of Meades army had not gathered yet and Lee wanted to hit the Center of Meades
line before the rest of his army arrived.

There was such a mess up of orders that put off the attack until 3 in the afternoon. Thus allowing
Meade to reinforce. Too much blame to single out who caused what to happened. Historians
even disagree on what happened and who to blame."
-----Rebforever

That last sentence-----
Historians even disagree on what happened and who to blame.-----is a zinger.

That is precisely why, I prefer to refer, all serious students of the questionable nature concerning the alleged Stuart debacle, to enter the realm of Tom Carhart's precise "Lost Triumphant"...... military mind. Corporal Carhart was actually in the military along with James McPherson who wasn't.

Sweet Jebus, don't recommend Carhart's work, even in jest.

R

Whoa, whoa...Whoa, RP!
I'm not recommending anything.
It's just that if you're gonna read the likes of Napoleon, Jomini, Sun Tzu, Frederick The Great and other credible spouters of military maxims & tactical theories, then you may as well also indulge in Carhartic type theorizing for a taste of how Sandhurst types do things on a different planet, or in this case, solar system.

Whoa, whoa...Whoa, RP!
I'm not recommending anything.
It's just that if you're gonna read the likes of Napoleon, Jomini, Sun Tzu, Frederick The Great and other credible spouters of military maxims & tactical theories, then you may as well also indulge in Carhartic type theorizing for a taste of how Sandhurst types do things on a different planet, or in this case, solar system.

Theorizing? I think not. Fictionalizing? You bet. Making things up out of the clear blue sky without so much as a shred of evidence to support his nonsensical fantasizing? Absolutely.

Go to McDonald's and buy a Happy Meal. It's a much more rewarding use of time, money, and resources.

The thing is, the evidence is there, if anyone wishes to find it- and easily accessible. I feel I can stick my nose in here because having read ' Killer Angels ' all those years ago, came away with the requisite ' Stuart was culpable ' thing, which I'll bet most beginners get stuck in. Since Shaara's work is at best a kind of gateway drug, the general tendency is to accidently bump into better and better accounts of the battle, MUCH better character readings, and become intrigued enough to go digging seriously about some of these men who did so, so poorly at the hands and pen of Shaara.

It's a little tough to recommend a book(s) when the author is here, but I was doing it, swear, before Eric Wittenberg became a member, I'm not being polite because we have an author as a member here who writes on a lot of cavalry subjects.. I thought Stuart's movements were extremely well covered in ' Gettysburg's Forgotten Cavalry Actions ', which I'll get wrong if I attempt a synopsis. My point is, between this and other sourced, factual resources, it's incredibly easy to ascertain Stuart's movements and intentions June and July, 1863. And gosh- if a genuine beginner can understand and follow all of it, any one can. Stuart's fault? Pretty happy to be able to have an opinion based on reading, but have to say of course not.

Back