Period January Is National Hot Soup Month

Mock Turtle Soup

From “The Great Western Cook Book, or Table Receipts, Adapted to Western Housewifery”, By Anna Maria Collins, 1857

Take the upper from the lower part of a calf's head, and put both in a gallon of water and boil till tender.
Strain the liquor, let it stand till next day, and take off the fat. Hang it over the fire three-quarters of an hour before serving it, and season it with salt, cloves, pepper, mace, and sweet herbs, tied in a bag. Add half a pint of rich gravy. Darken it with browned flour or fried sugar. Then put in the yolks of eight eggs boiled hard, the juice of two lemons, and force-meat balls. When ready to serve, add half a pint of wine.

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)

diane

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Potato soup is another happy soup for winter. My mom's recipe is simple - cube some potatoes, boil them until done, add a can of evaporated milk with a good chunk of butter, a little salt and pepper. Serve with chopped onion! Now I tend to use flour and make it a little creamier, and add bacon. Very good! (I've found soy milk works...ok...)

Potato soup is another happy soup for winter. My mom's recipe is simple - cube some potatoes, boil them until done, add a can of evaporated milk with a good chunk of butter, a little salt and pepper. Serve with chopped onion! Now I tend to use flour and make it a little creamier, and add bacon. Very good! (I've found soy milk works...ok...)
I routinely use a similar recipe . . . instead of evaporated milk, add some half-and-half.

With a touch of White Pepper.

Delicious !

Last week with all the freezing weather we had in Florida my wife made two pots of soup.the first was a split pea with ham soup and the other was a thick savory Beef barley soup.she made about a gallon of each so we had plenty of leftovers to store for the two of us along with the homemade bread that she made.nothing better then when our black car turned white from the ice and frost on it.

Last edited:
Split pea with ham is delicious. Gives me idea for my next soup.
They had hams on sale about 10 days ago for 68 cents a pound so we bought a large shank one.we asked the butcher to cut 2- 1/2 ham steaks off the front and he cut up the back portion into 4 pieces that we could use for soup.the rest of the ham for a ham dinner.amazing how you can turn a $7.00 purchase into 5 meals at least.