January 3d - National Chocolate Covered Cherries Day

donna

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host
Chocolate Covered Cherries were my Granddad's favorite candy. He always got several boxes for Christmas. Both my husband and I enjoy them.

They originated in England in the 1700s. The cherries were enclosed in chocolate with a little cordial liqueur. They were brought to America where they were enjoyed by many. They were first prepared as the English had done. Then they made them with a sugary syrup and not with cordial liqueur.

So for today enjoy a chocolate covered cherry . As they say they help cheer one up as they are known as "mid-winter pick me up".

Chocolate Covered Cherries were my Granddad's favorite candy. He always got several boxes for Christmas. Both my husband and I enjoy them.

They originated in England in the 1700s. The cherries were enclosed in chocolate with a little cordial liqueur. They were brought to America where they were enjoyed by many. They were first prepared as the English had done. Then they made them with a sugary syrup and not with cordial liqueur.

So for today enjoy a chocolate covered cherry . As they say they help cheer one up as they are known as "mid-winter pick me up".
I remember the cordial ones from my youth. We used to think it so daring to eat them! My son brought some home one time, but I never got one single one, because the piggie-wiggles got there first!

We used to go to a local haunt that made their own "cordial cherries". Started with a chocolate cup about the size of a shot glass, dropped in a maraschino then filled the rest with 151 rum. Then in the cooler and served very cold. Tasty and after a few, you felt "cordial".
I bet you did! Like Black Forest Cake without the cake and cream!:mstickle:

I have a bowl of Cherry Cordial Hershey Kisses at the office, they aren't as good as real ones, but everyone has been gobbling them up! Though nothing beats a good hand-dipped cherry cordial if you can find a local chocolate shop.

I prefer the ones with the clear creme but i couldn't find any this year,only the ones with the white creme.

The Queen Anne cherries usually have that white creme. Whereas the Godiva ones usually have the clear creme. I found out a few months ago they only sell the Godiva chocolate covered cherries at the holidays whereas they used to sell them all year long.

Back