January 3d - National Chocolate Covered Cherries Day

donna

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host
Chocolate Covered Cherries were my Granddad's favorite candy. He always got several boxes for Christmas. Both my husband and I enjoy them.

They originated in England in the 1700s. The cherries were enclosed in chocolate with a little cordial liqueur. They were brought to America where they were enjoyed by many. They were first prepared as the English had done. Then they made them with a sugary syrup and not with cordial liqueur.

So for today enjoy a chocolate covered cherry . As they say they help cheer one up as they are known as "mid-winter pick me up".

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)

Northern Light

Lt. Colonel
Forum Host
Chocolate Covered Cherries were my Granddad's favorite candy. He always got several boxes for Christmas. Both my husband and I enjoy them.

They originated in England in the 1700s. The cherries were enclosed in chocolate with a little cordial liqueur. They were brought to America where they were enjoyed by many. They were first prepared as the English had done. Then they made them with a sugary syrup and not with cordial liqueur.

So for today enjoy a chocolate covered cherry . As they say they help cheer one up as they are known as "mid-winter pick me up".
I remember the cordial ones from my youth. We used to think it so daring to eat them! My son brought some home one time, but I never got one single one, because the piggie-wiggles got there first!

Northern Light

Lt. Colonel
Forum Host
We used to go to a local haunt that made their own "cordial cherries". Started with a chocolate cup about the size of a shot glass, dropped in a maraschino then filled the rest with 151 rum. Then in the cooler and served very cold. Tasty and after a few, you felt "cordial".
I bet you did! Like Black Forest Cake without the cake and cream!:mstickle:

Anna Elizabeth Henry

1st Lieutenant
Silver Patron
I have a bowl of Cherry Cordial Hershey Kisses at the office, they aren't as good as real ones, but everyone has been gobbling them up! Though nothing beats a good hand-dipped cherry cordial if you can find a local chocolate shop.

Anna Elizabeth Henry

1st Lieutenant
Silver Patron
I prefer the ones with the clear creme but i couldn't find any this year,only the ones with the white creme.
The Queen Anne cherries usually have that white creme. Whereas the Godiva ones usually have the clear creme. I found out a few months ago they only sell the Godiva chocolate covered cherries at the holidays whereas they used to sell them all year long.

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)