January 17th National Hot Buttered Rum Day

Dear CWT Family,

I have a bit of a cold and am drinking this (I can't take NyQuil anymore...I just hate how floopy I get.). I made the recipe as written. Okay, I lied...I used apple cider instead of water. BUT I did actually put in a full 2 ounces of rum.

Before I empty this mug, is this a lot of alcohol for someone who doesn't drink? :alien: My cough may disappear, but will I also be regretting obnoxious texts sent out in about a half hour?

Two ounces of rum is a lot even if you're a seasoned rum drinker - guilty as charged. As for regretting any texts you may send later, forget texting and start posting on CWT. Your contributions should be hilarious and this post will serve as a disclaimer. Drink up and start typing!!

Two ounces of rum is a lot even if you're a seasoned rum drinker - guilty as charged. As for regretting any texts you may send later, forget texting and start posting on CWT. Your contributions should be hilarious and this post will serve as a disclaimer. Drink up and start typing!!
:laugh: Troublemaker!!!

I've had exactly 1/4 of this mug, I think. And I feel very warm. I think I shall put this in the fridge for tomorrow night.

I may do some photoshop though! :skip:

:laugh: Troublemaker!!!

I've had exactly 1/4 of this mug, I think. And I feel very warm. I think I shall put this in the fridge for tomorrow night.

I may do some photoshop though! :skip:

What can I say? I like me some rum and I do like to get in some good trouble every now and then. Come to think of it, trouble seems to follow me when I have some rum. Hmmm. Sleep tight @LoriAnn!

It wa s a cold December morning on the Canadian border, I had scheduled to pour a concrete foundation and the forecast was for snow in the afternoon. The location was just below the crest of a very steep road that ran from a lake below straight up the side of a mountain. My concrete truck and pump showed up as scheduled and the driver of the concrete truck was freezing, on cold mornings like this my father and I would fill a thermos with hot buttered rum. I offered him one, he really enjoyed it. He had another as It took the edge off the cold. 10 minutes into the pour it started snowing hard. Within an hour there was 4" on the ground. The driver went to move his truck but the snow caused his wheels to break loose and he began to slide backwards, down the slope. I'm not exaggerating when I say that ski jumpers used to practice their jumps from my yard down this road. Within seconds the concrete truck was in a full downhill backwards run 1/2 mile backwards in fresh snow, on a road 40' wide between giant cedar trees. The driver handled it
Ike he did it every day, I'm certain it was the hot buttered rum that prevented him from fully comprehending the danger he was in, thus saving his life and the truck.

It wa s a cold December morning on the Canadian border, I had scheduled to pour a concrete foundation and the forecast was for snow in the afternoon. The location was just below the crest of a very steep road that ran from a lake below straight up the side of a mountain. My concrete truck and pump showed up as scheduled and the driver of the concrete truck was freezing, on cold mornings like this my father and I would fill a thermos with hot buttered rum. I offered him one, he really enjoyed it. He had another as It took the edge off the cold. 10 minutes into the pour it started snowing hard. Within an hour there was 4" on the ground. The driver went to move his truck but the snow caused his wheels to break loose and he began to slide backwards, down the slope. I'm not exaggerating when I say that ski jumpers used to practice their jumps from my yard down this road. Within seconds the concrete truck was in a full downhill backwards run 1/2 mile backwards in fresh snow, on a road 40' wide between giant cedar trees. The driver handled it
Ike he did it every day, I'm certain it was the hot buttered rum that prevented him from fully comprehending the danger he was in, thus saving his life and the truck.
:alien:

That's a great story!

We are having a comparatively windless day in NW Oregon today, for a change. Also small amounts of rain--I understand leftovers from what California is getting. At least I won't have to worry about the wind taking my car door off its hinges when I open it!!

I'd be tempted to make a hot buttered rum and drink it right now, but I'm about to leave to go shopping, so i don't dare. I like the idea of apple cider instead of water. Maybe omit the sugar if cider is used

I would like to try it, but not so much on alcohol anymore. I try to stick with a few beers a year. I take too many medications. Alcohol don't mix with them well. It does sound very good to drink.

It's in the double digits today -- negative numbers -- but should be in the single digits tomorrow -- still negative numbers -- so I'm tempted to try this. I made the Frugal Gourmet's Hot Buttered Rum Mix (brown sugar, confectioners' sugar, butter, ice cream, rum, bit of nutmeg) one of the twelve days of Christmas, which you keep in the freezer and mix with hot water and rum (except we skip that rum). it's deadly, if not very alcoholic the way we make it.

That, or the "Civil War Era Hot Chocolate" recipe I pulled from a thread here some time back...

Back