Stonewall Janie Corbin and Stonewall Jackson

donna

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host
There is a beautiful print by Mort Kunstler of "Janie Corbin and Old Jack". This is one of the most beautiful and endearing stories from the Civil War.

In the winter of 1862-1863, Stonewall Jackson made his headquarters at Moss Neck Plantation on the Rappahannock River in Virginia. The Plantation was owned by Richard and Roberta Corbin. They had a young, sweet and friendly daughter named Janie, who was 5 years old.. Jackson and Janie developed an endearing friendship. Jackson just had had a baby daughter who he hadn't seen yet. Jackson and Janie would play every day. In March, 1863, Jackson had to return to the field. He learned Janie had Scarlet Fever. Her Mother was sure, because of what doctor said, that Janie would recover. A Day later, news reached Jackson that Janie had died. Jackson broke down and cried. His tender emotions might have surprised some on his staff, but for those who really knew Jackson, they well understood his gentile spirit and tender heart.

Within weeks of Janie's death, Jackson would be gone too.

Donna,

Mort Kunstler has to be one of the most talented American Artist in this century.

His painting skills aren't totally entrenched into the American Civil War which is great but, I know from his themes --he is a patriot.

The General Jackson and Janie Corbin story really shows compassion and a daughter's needs of a father. I like to think that the many men of both armies took time when given a chance, to show the children who were starved for manly affections and advice, as their fathers were away fighting the war, to just for a moment in time give comfort and support for the children.

For General Jackson a new father to whom had not seen his baby daughter and a sweet little girl in Janie who knew how to pick her friend in General Jackson, to whom needed her as much as she needed him.

Just some thoughts.

Respectfully submitted,
M. E. Wolf

Stonewall Jackson lost his first wife and baby in childbirth, and was so devastated he almost lived at their grave. Family members often had to go get him and literally drag him away - he said he just wanted to crawl inside with them. This severe depression went on for a very long time and when it became apparent Jackson was not getting over his loss, his father-in-law suggested he take a tour of Europe. Jackson had been planning to do so with his wife and child as soon as it got old enough and replied that such a thing was now out of the question. The old preacher told him he understood Jackson's loss - he'd lost his daughter and grandchild - but that it wouldn't dishonor them for Jackson to take a trip, get away from sad memories for awhile. So, Jackson rather reluctantly set off. He toured all the great cathedrals and churches, visited only one battlefield - Waterloo - and returned with a renewed belief in life being for the living. He also decided remarriage was no longer unthinkable, that in fact his deceased wife would want him to remarry. He didn't have much of a little black book but he remembered D.H. Hill's sister-in-law - she was a devout Christian, too - and abruptly appeared at Hill's house requesting to see Anna. She saw him and he promptly proposed. "Why, Major Jackson!" she spluttered. "I don't know you!" He persuaded her, though, and Hill put in several good words for him, and she agreed. His marriage to Anna was one of the best romances in CW lore - lots of tender and funny moments! He never took her for granted, or their surviving baby.

Jackson, like many military men, loved children and loved to play with them. His relationship with little Janie Corbin was very touching. He was never too busy to give her a few minutes. When his old kepi finally wore out, his wife sent him a new one. It had lots of fancy gold braid around it - too much for the stern Calvinist - so he took out his pocket knife and carefully sliced it off, making a crown for Janie. She wore it constantly, even when she became ill.

I always thought that the movie Gods and Generals captured this part of Jackson's life very well, and have to give Ron Maxwell credit for allowing this part of Jackson's life to be put up on screen, as Jeff Shaara had done so in the book. For Jackson, this was a very devastating loss. It had to be a reminder to him that death was his constant companion ever since he was young. He'd lost both his parents by the time he was seven, and as others had said, he lost his first wife and child during the birth, as well as his first child with Anna. But all the losses Jackson experienced never turned him bitter, and convinced him that God had a plan, even though we can't see it. But this loss drove him to openly weep, something he rarely did in his life. But it shows that Jackson was a man, and not just the mythic figure we see in paintings and pictures.

God bless!

When we were at Chancellorsville Visitor's Center, saw the park film which was very moving. Actually, I got choked up and tears came to my eyes. We then toured the grounds and as it was getting late decided we better head to Guinea Station to see Stonewall Jackson Shrine. When we got there it was dusk and the sun was setting. I was standing by the signs that tell about Jackson's last days there and death. As one stands there you look right at building where he died. I got all choked up again but suddenly felt a presence that seemed to say all is alright. It probably was the time of day and the shadows and because the film was fresh in my mind. However, it is a feeling I can't forget.

When we were at Chancellorsville Visitor's Center, saw the park film which was very moving. Actually, I got choked up and tears came to my eyes. We then toured the grounds and as it was getting late decided we better head to Guinea Station to see Stonewall Jackson Shrine. When we got there it was dusk and the sun was setting. I was standing by the signs that tell about Jackson's last days there and death. As one stands there you look right at building where he died. I got all choked up again but suddenly felt a presence that seemed to say all is alright. It probably was the time of day and the shadows and because the film was fresh in my mind. However, it is a feeling I can't forget.

Amazing, Donna. I'm sure that you are not the only one to get that feeling. I'm planning on going to the Chancellorsville Battlefield in 2012, hopefully. Plan a full day to see as much of the Fredericksburg and Spotsylvania National Military Park as I can. Hope that my experience there is just as memorable as yours was.

God bless!

A lovely story I always thought that the story about Jackson and the little girl was maybe one the film makers had made up and I am so pleased its a true story! A very moving account of your visit to Chancellorsville there Donna I am sure Stonewall must have been looking down on you there. I have also heard that the Gettysburg battlefield site is one of the most peaceful places on earth.

It also had nothing to do with the movie. Watched the whole thing through about twice last week. And I mean weak. Wasted footage. Much too long and too many people getting blown up and too much worship of Stonewall. Maxwell lost it in there, which is why we're not geting "Last Full Measure."

Too much silly.

Back