Jane Perkins: A Confederate Woman At White House Landing?

It's always annoying having someone pop in to say ' maybe? '. Sorry! I'm not quite convinced? She'd have been fairly tall although that doesn't have to mean anything. There's just something about her lean profile that seems arguable and the clothing worn by Confederate soldiers seems all over the place, you know? Looking at quite a few images, the studio portraits? Shirts with large sleeves, a ' blouse ' appearance, some even with large bows are wonderful. I've always thought most had to have been made by wives and mothers- look at the ' battle shirts '.

Not sure what to make of this soldier's chest- love to think we're looking at Jane, just not sure.

Very interesting article here.

Interesting. Here's another print of Brady's photograph with better resolution. It's from the J. Paul Getty Museum collection.

22056501a.jpg

I'm still not sure? This person seems awfully ' guy ' and I'm really trying to see it otherwise. Plus, fellow to the right has a very similar bulge, a tad lower? Something under their shirts worn for a reason? Like a tobacco pouch pinned to their shoulder? Wound bandage? If you look on the opposite side of this person's chest there doesn't seem to be another one. There should be.

grays image crop.jpg

grays image profile.jpg

Back