Jan. 20th National Cheese Lover's Day

donna

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host
Did you know there are more than 900 known cheeses in the world. They are classified as: fresh cheeses (ricotta), soft cheese (feta), semi-soft (Fontina), semi-hard (Gouda), hard cheese (Cheddar), double or triple crème cheese (Brillat-Savarin), blue cheese (Gorgonzola), washed rind cheese (Limburger), and bloomy rind cheese (Brie).

People have been making cheese for over 8000 years. The cheeses we enjoy today are relatively young in comparison. Take Swiss Chees for example, it only been around since the 1st century B.C.

I love all kinds of cheeses and one of my favorite sandwiches is Grilled Cheese made with Cheddar and Swiss cheese.

So make sure you have one of your favorite cheeses today in honor of National Cheese Lover's Day.

Information from: http://www.punchbowl.com/holidays/national-cheese-lovers-day

A cheese dish from "Civil war Recipes Receipts from the pages of Godey's Lady's Book" , 1864.

Eggs Stewed with Cheese

"Fry three eggs in a pan with one ounce of butter, seasoned with pepper and salt, and when the eggs are just set firm at the bottom of the pan, slip them off on to a dish, cover them all over with some very thin slices of cheese, set the dish before the fire to melt the cheese, and then eat this cheap little tit-bit with some toast."

Another cheese favorite, Cheese Souffle

1/2 lb sharp cheese, grated
butter
10 slices of bread with crust removed. Cut in 1 inch cubes

Into a large flat baking dish put:

Layer of bread cubes, cover with grated cheese, layer of bread cubes, top layer of cheese.

Pour the following sauce (well beaten) over all:

2 cups milk
3 eggs
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon dry mustard

Let stand overnight or for at least 8 hours in refrigerator. Then bake at 325 degrees until browned and bubbly. It takes about 1/2 hour.

This old recipe from a lady who was member of South Elkhorn Christian Church, Kentucky. This church had cookbook which I have posted thread on. There were many members who were superb cooks, including my Granny and my Aunt.

Please count me in on the Cheese Souffle! Cheese is a versatile food with a huge variety of flavors. Can be used from Breakfast, to Lunch to Dinner and on to Dessert. And it's great with macaroni. Can't imagine life without it.

Who's gonna cut the cheese?
Edit: Lnwlf, was typing this at the same time you were posting. Ironic we had a similar thought regarding cutting the cheese.

Last edited:
Cheese is one of those wonderful, glorious things you wonder how it came to be eaten. Cheese is, basically, rotten milk. Who was hungry enough to say, I think I'll eat that moldy lump... Blue cheese, I'm looking at you! :laugh: One of my very favorite snacks or desserts is simply dead ripe black figs sprinkled with crumbled blue cheese and star thistle honey. And it has to be Rogue Valley blue cheese and honey! :thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh, I've got one!

Caramelized onion/pear pizza with Gorgonzola and walnuts.

Bosc pear, onion, balsamic vinegar, fresh basil, 4 pita breads. Olive oil or butter. Garlic salt. Gorgonzola or blue cheese. Toasted walnuts.

Preheat oven to 450.

Thinly slice the pear and onion - I use a mandoline. Sauté the onions and pear in butter or oil until they start to turn brown and caramelize, 10 minutes or so. Sprinkle generously with garlic salt. Add fresh basil, chopped, sauté until wilted. Drizzle balsamic vinegar and give it a stir. Place whole pitas on a baking sheet, top with onion/pear mix, toasted walnut pieces, Gorgonzola cheese. Bake until cheese is melted and bread is toasty, 7-10 minutes.

Cheese is one of those wonderful, glorious things you wonder how it came to be eaten. Cheese is, basically, rotten milk. Who was hungry enough to say, I think I'll eat that moldy lump... Blue cheese, I'm looking at you! :laugh: One of my very favorite snacks or desserts is simply dead ripe black figs sprinkled with crumbled blue cheese and star thistle honey. And it has to be Rogue Valley blue cheese and honey! :thumbsup:
OH MY GOODNESS!!!! I was tempted to dive into the computer after this scrumtiousness!!!

Oh, I've got one!

Caramelized onion/pear pizza with Gorgonzola and walnuts.

Bosc pear, onion, balsamic vinegar, fresh basil, 4 pita breads. Olive oil or butter. Garlic salt. Gorgonzola or blue cheese. Toasted walnuts.

Preheat oven to 450.

Thinly slice the pear and onion - I use a mandoline. Sauté the onions and pear in butter or oil until they start to turn brown and caramelize, 10 minutes or so. Sprinkle generously with garlic salt. Add fresh basil, chopped, sauté until wilted. Drizzle balsamic vinegar and give it a stir. Place whole pitas on a baking sheet, top with onion/pear mix, toasted walnut pieces, Gorgonzola cheese. Bake until cheese is melted and bread is toasty, 7-10 minutes.
Swoon!!!!!!

For somebody who is lactose intolerant, I sure do love cheese! :roflmao: Just thought of a good time a few months ago drinking some of Wild River's great IPA and chomping on Rogue Creamery's jalapeno cheese curds!

My daughter loves cheese and fruit combinations. Last night she put slices of herbed Brie on apple wedges, spooned some fancy schmancy strawberry and Champagne jam from Scotland on each, then drizzled honey on top. Not too shabby!

For somebody who is lactose intolerant, I sure do love cheese! :roflmao: Just thought of a good time a few months ago drinking some of Wild River's great IPA and chomping on Rogue Creamery's jalapeno cheese curds!
No pain, no ......cheesy deliousness!

Unfortunately for me living in the Frozen North as I do, the only figs we get here are dried, and while still tasty, are not suitable for grilling. This recipe, however, would still be good with pears, I think! A poor second, but still tasty!!

Pears are neck and neck goodness! Pears and blue cheese are a lovely combo. But I'd use mild to medium blue cheese on these two - but that's just personal. There's just a slew of great blue cheeses.

Back