Jan. 16th National Fig Newton Day

Donna. Thanks for sharing the background information on this wonderful and delicious cookie. I have been eating fig newtons since I was a little fellow. Mother used to pack them in my lunch everyday for school. God love her. David.

Fig Newtons are one of my husband's favorite cookies. For me not so much, no chocolate.

You could dip a fig newton into melted chocolate and see what happens!

Last summer I tasted fresh, tree-ripened figs for the first time (found at a farmers' market in Sonoma, CA). Wow! Never mind the chocolate or the newton!

Today's bit of trivia - the fig newton is one of two official state cookies up here in Massachusetts (that's right! We have TWO official state cookies because we're just that special up here). The other is the Toll House Cookie, which was invented by Ruth Wakefield at the Toll House Restaurant in Whitman (being from the next town over, I remember when the Toll House burned down in 1977). She didn't want to take the time to melt the chocolate for a cookie recipe, so just tossed in chopped up chocolate, thus accidentally inventing the chocolate chip cookie. A most delightful invention.

I grew up in Newton, Massachusetts. I remember when I was in elementary school (I think third or fourth grade), the city declared a day as "Fig Newton Day" and we had a giant Fig Newton baked for the event.
Wow, I graduated from Wellesley High School! Wellesley, next door to Newton,--home of the Wellesley Fudge Cake. We certainly are a culinary lot!

Back