Jan. 14th National Hot Pastrami Day

It is said that N.Y. Kosher butcher, Sussman Volk, produced the first pastrami sandwich in U.S. in 1887. He claimed he got the recipe from a Romanian friend in exchange for keeping the friend's luggage. Since this sandwich was so popular, Volk converted his butcher shop to a restaurant to serve pastrami sandwiches.

Recipe for Hot Pastrami Sandwich

2 lbs cooked and thinly sliced beef pastrami
4 to 8 slices of Havarti cheese
coarse ground mustard
dill pickle slices
thinly sliced onion
8 to 16 sliced artisan rye bread or 4 to 5 sandwich buns
1 cup beef broth

Simmer pastrami in broth until hot.

Divide meat among bread using 4 ounces for smaller sandwiches and 8 ounces for large.

Add cheese, mustard, pickles and onions to taste.

Grill sandwich until toasty and crisp.

Serve warm with chips.

Recipe for Hot Pastrami Sandwich

2 lbs cooked and thinly sliced beef pastrami
4 to 8 slices of Havarti cheese
coarse ground mustard
dill pickle slices
thinly sliced onion
8 to 16 sliced artisan rye bread or 4 to 5 sandwich buns
1 cup beef broth

Simmer pastrami in broth until hot.

Divide meat among bread using 4 ounces for smaller sandwiches and 8 ounces for large.

Add cheese, mustard, pickles and onions to taste.

Grill sandwich until toasty and crisp.

Serve warm with chips.
What can I say but YUM.

The lines for the last week of the deli's existence were VERY long! Truly a shame such a NYC icon closed when it was still going strong. Apparently they want to focus on their mail order business and their smaller chains in places like Madison Square Garden. What's worse one of the employee's wanted to buy it and keep it open and the owners said no. :frown:

I love the hot pastrami. A truly great sandwich. I get them when I can not a huge amount of deli's here. I do the best I can. So tasty. I would love one now. Thanks @donna for this tasty thread.

I had a great pastrami sandwich at Ben's on Long Island this week with a bowl of matzoh ball soup. Ben's makes their own pastrami.

In the way of Kosher delis, the waitress brings out a bowl of cole slaw and a tray of sour and half-sour pickles, all "free". Next is the matzo ball soup. A giant matzoh ball in a wonderful yellow broth. Then the giant overstuffed sandwich of hot pastrami on rye with some rough deli mustard.

Bad for the heart, good for the soul.

Last edited:
I miss old Saul's deli. He had so much really good, really real Jewish food and made fantastic pastrami sandwiches. You'd think it was an old junk shop, had all kinds of curios inside and I think the furnishings came from his grandpa's place - he was a dealer in anything he could pick up for a buck. You kind of had to check the chairs before you sat down, see if they might break! But great food.

Back