Jan. 11 National Milk Day

donna

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host
Today is National Milk Day. I have been gone all day but wanted to bring this up. There is nothing like a glass of milk and some home made brownies or chocolate chip cookies.

Milk is so important for growth. I still drink a glass a day. Good for my brittle bones.

I always remember my Granny's cows. She milked them everyday. She let me help at times. There was our favorite one, Susie. She was a Jersey cow. She was so gentle. She had the biggest eyes.

So have a glass of milk today and either some brownies or chocolate chip cookies. A really good treat for these cold January days.

When think of milk always remember the milk that was delivered first to my Grandma later my Mom and then to me as a young housewife. I guess there are no more milkmen and home delivery. It was part of the American landscape for many years.

For many years my Dad first worked for Sealtest and then Borden. Later he worked for a small dairy in Louisville, Ky. called Oscar Ewing. He was a chemist for them and tested the milk . He also went out to dairy farms when worked for Oscar Ewing to check on the dairy cattle.

Milk is now sold at the groceries. I usually get the Kroger brand. Do miss the home delivery at times. Besides milk, would get buttermilk, ice cream, butter and cottage cheese. Those were the days.

When I was a small kid we had two farmers still farming down our suburban, former village road where now are apartment buildings. And it was my duty to get our plastic milk jar every evening, go down the street, cross that street very carefully and buy the milk. Still warm from the cow. My Mom then boiled it and I loved the cream which made a thick skin on the milk when cooling. That's probably the origin of my addiction for cream! :D
(Strange, I hated the thin skin on hot cocoa, but loved that thick cream on top of the milk mug..)

The plastic container in the early Sixties looked like this, only that we had one with a red, and one with a blue lid.
$_6.jpg

@pamc153PA I have once read that people who don't like to drink milk most probably will have difficulties digesting it. Adults often lose the ability to digest milk properly. But when you always keep drinking milk, you will keep that ability. I'm glad I did, because there is nothing like hot milk with a spoonful of honey when you have a sore throat.
And when I was in England, I learned that the English make Nescafe with hot milk instead of hot water. Delicious!!! Like hot mocha milk shake! I still do that, but for calorie reasons I use half milk, half hot water. Still pretty good!

Well, for my short life milk has always been in tetra paks (milk in glass bottles is too expensive) ... except in a certain town where we occasionally spent some days during winter holidays in my childhood. Empty glass bottle/s into a tray outside of the door in the evening - on the next day we had full ones. A perfect tourist distribution system by the local dairy farmers.

One of these with a coffee type filter on top. So many cats around it was like custer's last stand.

Last edited by a moderator:
My sister in law and her husband used to have a far. We're they raised veal.he would have to milk the cows twice a day so he could bottle feed the calves till they were 6 weeks old.she would always collect the cream.the state of New York closed them down as they would have to upgrade the barn and equipment and it was no longer profitable to do that.the did fall down a couple of years ago as I guess it was 100 years by then.

I just indulged in a cup of hot cocoa made (of course) with milk. Portland OR just got a foot of snow; paralyzing because nobody knows how to cope with it. Everyone panics at the first flake and a half inch is enough to close schools. I don't know what we'll do with a whole foot that's not going to melt until Sunday. Having grown up in Wyoming, I find this attitude amusing--except that I really don't want to be on the road with hundreds of people who have no idea how to drive in this stuff!

Fortunately, I bought enough milk (and other ingredients for hot cocoa) last Saturday to last at least 10 days! By that time we'll be back to our normal "Pineapple Express" winter weather.

Back