James Longstreet in uniform

Here's one of A.P. Hill that's not too bad.
index.php (43).jpg

Shirt?The one I sent,he is wearing a frock coat.Dont think he was ever photograped with just his shirt.One of him with his coat open and a shirt exposed underneath,but just a shirt?no.

And people thought Tom Berenger's beard was too artificial-looking. Guess they never really looked at the real Longstreet.

OH Please,lol.You cant be serious.

Very. At Gettysburg, there a whole lot of photos of soldiers with every variety of beard you can imagine, all godawful by our standards today. One I distinctly remember - this guy had shaved his face down to the jawline, but had not shaved his neck since god knows when. He looked like he was wearing a fur collar.

The real Longstreet's beard looked fake by our standards even in pictures - I'll bet out in the field it was INCREDIBLE!

Very. At Gettysburg, there a whole lot of photos of soldiers with every variety of beard you can imagine, all godawful by our standards today. One I distinctly remember - this guy had shaved his face down to the jawline, but had not shaved his neck since god knows when. He looked like he was wearing a fur collar.

The real Longstreet's beard looked fake by our standards even in pictures - I'll bet out in the field it was INCREDIBLE!
I will give you that its qyuite heavy and very curly.Quite shiny as well,but fake?I just dont think it comes close to that thing Berringer wore(no offense,here right?we're just B-SSSING?).Oh to be sure the facial hair in the Civil War?,some of it was just horrendous!Actually Stephen Langs beard in GandG would have been perfect for Longstreet.I also Liked Boxlietners look a whole lot better than Berringer,but I dont think Box could have pulled off G Burg

Sorry.Shameless self-promotion.just wanted to chuck my favorite painted version of Gen Longstreet from a work in progress that I cal "August Lightening".In case you couldnt figure it out ,he is the guy on the left,hehe.Thanks again for this post,it made me think about digging this picture out and finishing it.I have in mind to paint this great character at Chickamauga,if anyone has any neat scenarios that they could suggest?..........diane?........
Wow,between the war and post-war,Longstreet was one photographed guy.I wonder how many he actually wanted to sit for and how many he was begged into sitting for.

OMG. Will you finish this stuff? You are so richly talented! Get busy!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you Nathanb1.Fortunately I have a few commissions to get out of the way.They buy paint and brushes.Gotta make the Yankee dollar.My dream is to have a show and give the lions share of the proceeds to CWTF.hopefully soon.
OMG. Will you finish this stuff? You are so richly talented! Get busy!!!!!!!!!!

I heard that most of General Longstreet's personal war items like his uniform was lost by fire. Is that true? So sad if it is...

I heard that most of General Longstreet's personal war items like his uniform was lost by fire. Is that true? So sad if it is...

Yes, 1889 was not a good year. (From Wikipedia)

A devastating fire on April 9, 1889 (the 24th anniversary of Lee's surrender at Appomattox) destroyed his house and many of his personal possessions, including his personal Civil War documents and memorabilia. That December Louise Longstreet died.

What, did the entire US spend 1889 in flames? Every time one hears of some important 'something' lost in a fire you can bet your baffled little backside it's 1889.

Another thread ( there have been a few lately ) you get to the end of and say 'Rats', wishing there was another page. Thank you!

Back